cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work on COVID-19 research while re-building credit...

PhinPhin

Work on COVID-19 research while re-building credit...

Hi all. This is our first post, but long time follower to get all the information we need to rebuild. I'm going to keep this short as possible.

For the record: FICO scores raised to just a few points shy of 600 with a goal of getting all of them as close to 680 as possible.

As for the question at hand. I had a Discover secured card along with two CapOne unsecured cards that I am using to rebuild my credit. While both of my CapOne cards had autopay setup I, unfortunately, failed to put Discover on autopay. As SARS-CoV-2 swept the world my work (I'm a scientiest), like many others, ramped up efforts on researching this virus. This meant round the clock work and very stressful hours. I missed two of my payments on Discover and they closed my account and reported deliquency 30 and 60 days. Once I realized this happened I paid the balance in full so there was no collection. However, the damage is done with my payment history and the closure of my oldest rebuilding credit card.

I know there are a lot of things creditors are doing to help assist those affected by COVID, be it mortgage/auto loans/student loans etc., but how should I go about asking Discover if they would be willing to change my last two months of payments to reflect on-time in goodwill? I would be happy to provide them any proof of my employment and to the best of my abilities my research (being that which is open source already).

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ImTheDevil
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Work on COVID-19 research while re-building credit...

I would call and ask honestly. You'll likely have to speak to a supervisor or manager as a CSR probably won't be able to help. I hope it works and thank you for your efforts!

Platinum NPSL | Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | FNBO Prime Visa | PenFed PCR | Navy Platinum | IT Cash | IT Chrome | GHSFCU Visa Plat | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Sams MC | Firestone | Overstock | Kohl’s | Key Bank auto loan (2017 Audi A6 Premium Plus S-Line)

TCL $112,400 | Agg. Util under 10%
Message 2 of 7
PhinPhin

Thanks! I guess that's the big question. I want to make sure I speak to the right person before even asking (or know if there's a certaini way to phrase the question). It is completely my fault, but prior to this I had a perfect repayment of the card at Discover.

Message 3 of 7
ImTheDevil
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

I would ask for a manager and if you get one, just be honest about it. You can cite your perfect history with them and offer to mail/email/upload anything that proves your field of work as well. It's definitely worth a try.

Platinum NPSL | Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | FNBO Prime Visa | PenFed PCR | Navy Platinum | IT Cash | IT Chrome | GHSFCU Visa Plat | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Sams MC | Firestone | Overstock | Kohl’s | Key Bank auto loan (2017 Audi A6 Premium Plus S-Line)

Message 4 of 7
Rebuild2022
Super Contributor

@PhinPhin wrote:

Hi all. This is our first post, but long time follower to get all the information we need to rebuild. I'm going to keep this short as possible.

I thought most of the credit card companies and banks are helping with missed payments and other things. I would call and ask them to remove the negative information and I am sure they would be happy to do it. If that fails you can take it up with authorities and seek out covid help.

Gardening since 08/2020
Message 5 of 7
PhinPhin

In case anyone is wondering. I called Discover this morning and got connected to a supervisor (after explaining to the associate). They removed both late payments and refunded me the two late fees as a check. Account will remain closed though. Thanks Discover!

Message 6 of 7
ImTheDevil
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

That's a great result - congrats!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.