Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working on Wife's Credit Reports

tag
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Working on Wife's Credit Reports

Does anyone have any information and experience in dealing with WFNNB/Maurice's? My wife has one 30 day late with them. Account is still open and in good standing. Any experience?

She also has a charged off account from Defense Finance and Accounting for around $3800.00. We will have the entire $3800.00 to pay off in the next few weeks. Anyone had any experience with getting DFAS to agree to delete for full payment in one lump sum. She has gotten paperwork from a law firm and I believe they are going to garnish wages since its a govt debt. She replied back to appeal the amount just to hold them off for a couple of months.

Nissan has 5 lates listed for Sept-Dec of 2011 and for Jan 2012. I paid these payments myself so I know they're incorrect. Should be an easy fix as we paid them on time and have proof.

She has one late from First Preimer. The account is closed with a 0 zero balance. Not sure if they would be willing to delete the late with the account being closed as they have no incentive to but I will still try a GW. Maybe offer to reopen the account until the late is deleted and close again might work?

She has a VERY thin credit history with oldest account being a little over 3 years old. Out of the 7 accounts on her report, 4 are showing deregatory info which is KILLING her score (currently at a 513). I figure with the charge off gone and even a the smallest, the lates from Nissan gone, should would be well back within mid-high 600 territory. I have added her as an AU on atleast 3 of my accounts but none are showing on her credit report. I am open to any and all suggestions. I was in this situation a couple of years ago and managed to pull my score from 530ish to over 700 in as little as 10 months so I have extreme faith by the end of the year she will be looking good.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
PapasWifey
Regular Contributor

Re: Working on Wife's Credit Reports

Sounds like you've really thought out your options! I don't have much advice, I just wanted to say I think it's great that you are using the knowledge you gained to repair your own credit (which you approved greatly in just 10 months!) to help your wife rebuild hers. Is she working on it with you, so that she understands the things that are necessary to do and why?

Have you contacted the CCC's to see if/how they report AU's? In the event they are reporting it on hers, I'd try looking into why it's not showing up.

After you pay the gov't debt (garnished wages suck!), I would try to see if they are receptive to a GW to get the CO totally removed... that's where your FICO would probably improve.

Best of luck!

Starting Score: 576 EQ 1-12-13
Current Score: 588 EQ 2-3-13
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The charge-off appears to be the killer.  Removal will definately help FICO score, but just as importantly, the continued showing of a charge-off, even though paid, will negatively affect non-FICO considerations upon a manual review.  That would be my prime focus.

My concern is the fact that it is governmental.  Not being in the profit game,  they may be a tougher nut to crack when it comes to granting a CR deletion.  And having the apparent authority to garnish certainly does not help.  Is the debt still within SOL?

Message 3 of 7
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Yes Robert,

This debt is still within the SOL. My wife got out the military in Dec 2010. This debt comes from them overpaying her for 2 years or so and her not realizing it. The debt was charged off in May 2011. I have heard of people getting them to remove the debt for payment so we will see in the next month or so when we plan to approach them with the entire $3800 and see where it gets us.

Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)

Message 4 of 7
tsever01
Valued Member

Does DFAS have a judgement against her?  They cannot garnish wages without going to court and getting a judgement first.  Once they have a judgement they must know where your wife works in order to garnish her wages.  If they dont know already, avoid giving up where you work or bank.  Of course you want to avoid court in the first place so you gotta take care of the debt but you I'm just trying to tell you not to stress about having wages garnished unless there is already a judgment.

Message 5 of 7
MrChairman
Established Contributor

No, DFAS does not have a judgement against her neither knows where she works or banks. We have received any type of summons to go to court or anything even remotley similar. We actually haven't heard from them in about a month or so. My wife is planning to call them tomorrow so we can get some type of update on this.

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Some govermental agencies do have the right to garnish wages without a civil judgment.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.