cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working on this. Do you have some insight?

tag
LittleBelle
New Visitor

Working on this. Do you have some insight?

Hello all and thank you in advance for reading and offering advice.

After two major (and I do mean MAJOR) medical catastrophe's,  I have recently started to try to repair my credit. (Spurred by the desire to obtain my Security Clearance for work.)

As of today there were 8 accounts reporting collections on my credit. My credit score stood at 578. As of today I paid off six of the accounts (there were three with two agencies a piece), and both creditors agreed to deletions. The first said Monday we would submit the deletion email to her manager and it would be taken care of before end of month. The second said by Tuesday they would submit the deletion to the 3 agencies AND I would recieve a deletion letter via mail as well.

My questions are as follows:

With eight medical baddies, and six being removed (totalling 1,000) , how much can I expect this to help my score? Would it help those credit score points AT ALL? (The two that are left are $400 each and one has already said they will NOT do a deletion. The other has yet to confirm/deny.)

And, does anyone have experience with clearance? How hard will they look at me as "unstable" if I have two PAID (because I will pay them to show I am responsible when I found them) baddies on there. 

Really, really appreciate any insight, and hey if they news is those six deletions won't help a thing - it's OK. I'd just like to know what to expect. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Working on this. Do you have some insight?

Hi and Welcome here to the forums,

Debts that are with a CA's will hurt your CS (credit score) less and less as time goes on. In the beginning,a recent collections can hurt a FICO by 80-100pts.

Some things about collections......an unpaid CA is scored the same as a Paid collection.FICO sees a collection as a collection.
Paid is the same as unpaid, $5 debt the same as $5K debt.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 4
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

Paid collections are many many times better for clearances - you might not even have to have an interview if they're paid. And they are counted less if they are medical.
Message 3 of 4
guykara
Frequent Contributor

I EQ went from 572 to 610 with the removal of two collection accounts.  I still have three collection accounts remaining that I'm working on and two charge offs.

Every situation will be different, hope that helps though.

Starting Scores (10/18/2013): EX: 603 | EQ: 572 | TU: 659
5/05/2014 EX: 628 | EQ: 627 | TU: 623
5/25/2014: EX: 628 | EQ: 635 | TU: 623
Current Scores: EX: 670 | EQ: 663 | TU: 681
Goal Scores: 680 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.