Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth fixing or not?

tag
kawboy2222
Established Member

Worth fixing or not?

Greetings all. Long time reader, first time poster. I'm a bit unclear on how to approach an inconsistency in my credit reports. All three are generally uniform and show the same (10) late payments on one of my old accounts. TU and EX both show them as 9--"30 day lates" and 1--"60 day late". EQ however shows   9--"60 day lates" and 1--"90 day late." All of the lates are 4-6 years old. The 90 day is 5 1/2 years old. I guess my questions would be; how uncommon is this? How might I go about fixing it, if at all?  I have no idea how much affect these differences are still having. I can definitely say that my EQ FAKOs have consistently lagged the others by 25+ points for as long as I've been monitoring them. Thanks in advance. Hopefully someone can clear this thing up for me. 

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Re: Worth fixing or not?

Where do you see the EQ 90 day lates?  Is it on "MyEquifax" or somewhere else? 

(Reason I ask this is because I have (1) 30 day late that recently Eq. reported on  "MyEquifax"  that one 30 day late as a 60 day late- which is incorrect.   I checked and have been checking with Credit Karma, AnnualCreditReport.com, Experian 3B, and MyFico 3B that EQ. reports only  (1) 30 day late.)

Anyway, if you haven't pulled from any of those above (particularly Annualcreditreport.com) do so to compare to where you've seen those 90 days reported.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 2 of 18
kawboy2222
Established Member

Exactly... MyEquifax. I have also reviewed Karma as well as annualcreditreport for TU and EX. I'm waiting for my EQ report in the mail. I will certainly explore your other suggestions. Thank you. 

Message 3 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Yes, it's worth fixing. A 90+ late keeps it's weight almost the entire time it's on your reports where 30-60 day lates will lose effect as they get older. Best thing to do is run a goodwill campaign to try and get them removed if possible, but if not, you should at least he able to get them fixed.

Message 4 of 18
kawboy2222
Established Member

I get what you're saying. It's definitely worth it. So is this normally as simple as a phone call to EQ, or might I have to initiate some type of dispute? Sorry, If I sound clueless here. Lol. 

Message 5 of 18
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@kawboy2222 wrote:

Exactly... MyEquifax. I have also reviewed Karma as well as annualcreditreport for TU and EX. I'm waiting for my EQ report in the mail. I will certainly explore your other suggestions. Thank you. 

Does Credit Karma and annualcreditreport also show 90 day lates reported by Equifax as well or  is it only reporting the 90 day lates on "MyEquifax"? 

(I ask that because if the 90's are only on MyEquifax and not the others then I wouldn't dispute first  but rather call Equifax and question what they are indeed reporting and tell them about the discrepancy if indeed there is one.)

Message 6 of 18
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@kawboy2222 wrote:

I get what you're saying. It's definitely worth it. So is this normally as simple as a phone call to EQ, or might I have to initiate some type of dispute? Sorry, If I sound clueless here. Lol. 

Avoid dealing with EQ if possible. Start with whomever reported it. Only go to EQ if there's no other option and you have proof it's wrong. They're known to screw up all the time.

Message 7 of 18
kawboy2222
Established Member

I just double checked. Karma shows it as 90 days as well. I was unable to get my EQ annual report online so I'm waiting for it to arrive by mail. 

Message 8 of 18
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@kawboy2222 wrote:

Avoid dealing with EQ if possible. Start with whomever reported it. Only go to EQ if there's no other option and you have proof it's wrong. They're known to screw up all the time.

Exactly.  If OP only finds the 90 days being reported on "MyEquifax" but not on Credit Karma or annualcreditreport.com then I wouldn't worry do anything yet.  Perhaps even order a 3b from MyFico or Experian to further confirm any descrepancies.   

Since you ordered a credit report from Equifax, wait to see how those lates are reporting.  If indeed the hard copy has the (eta: 1- 90 and several 60 day lates) 90 day lates instead of them being 60 days then I'd call Equifax. 

Message 9 of 18
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@kawboy2222 wrote:

Yeah they are messed up on mine. It is showing an old account that was a real estate loan that was closed in 2007. Paid as agreed . Since it is a good thing I am not worried about it. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.