Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would this be in my best interest?

tag
toodles12
Valued Member

Would this be in my best interest?

I'm unsure of how to proceed because I just realized something shocking. In the state of Indiana, the statute of limitations on promissary/written contracts is 10 years.

I'm not employed; I'm a stay at home mother right now (have an 11 year old, 2 year old, and a 10 week old). I'm working on my college degree and anticipate returning to work after the last child is in kindergarten (so 5-6 years).

Would I be better off approaching the CAs with PFD/settlement offers? If they take me to court, I have no income so there isn't anything to garnish and I have no account with an abundancy of money to seize.

Also, I have almost 20 medical collections that are paid from a wreck back in 2005. I also have 6 new medical collections from 2010. All of these collection accounts are from the same CA. Should I GW the paid medical or do I risk a chance of the new accts linking with the old?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!!

Starting Score: EQ 574 EX 528 TU 566 (1/18/2013)
Current Score: EQ 574 EX 528 TU 566 (01/18/2013)
FICO 562 (02/04/2013)

Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Would this be in my best interest?

Kinda hard to speculate.

By offering a PFD, you are indirectly saying that you do have the assets to pay. 

Depending upon how deep a discount you are offering, and also being contingent upon CR deletion, you are asking for two concessions on their part.

Hard to say if they wil choose the path of attempting to get a judgment for the full amount.  However, the judgment will initially be an order to pay.

If the judgment is unsatisfied, they will have to take additional action to garnish/etc.

Having a messy CR will certainly raise some reluctance to sue.

Message 2 of 3
toodles12
Valued Member

Re: Would this be in my best interest?

Well, I do a little bit of freelance work but it's so rare (maybe once a month if that) that I can't base any payments off that. The pay also isn't that great (usually less than $200)

I think I'll start with the GW letters to the paid collections and try to PFD on the collections starting with the smallest amount.

I have a FPB CC that I was just approved for last month, Fingerhut, and I'm going to apply for a USAA secure card.

Is there anything else I should add to help my score while I'm taking care of the deletions?

Starting Score: EQ 574 EX 528 TU 566 (1/18/2013)
Current Score: EQ 574 EX 528 TU 566 (01/18/2013)
FICO 562 (02/04/2013)

Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.