Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong information/credit dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wrong information/credit dispute

I had some credit card debt in the past.  I went into a delinquent status and had debt shark law firms come after me.  Luckily I was able to change jobs to a much higher paying job and pay off both cards with around $7000 on each.  Unluckily, it still shows on my credit report as those cards never being paid.  I disputed the charges on the credit report websites (equifax etc) but, the status remains the same.

Are there credit lawyers out there that I can hire to sort this out for me?  all I have to confirm that I paid (and this should be enough), is a piece of paper from the credit shark law firm that both accounts were paid in full.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wrong information/credit dispute

I'd two things. First, I would contact via mail whomever is reporting the balance (e.g. the CC if reporting the $$$ or collection agency if reporting the balance) and enclose a copy of your proof of payment. Mention to them that they are reporting a balance on a paid account and ask them to either update to $0, or if you don't need the history in the case of an OC, ask for deletion.

Give them a little time to respond since most only update 1x/month. If after a month there is no response or no change to your CR(s), then mail a dispute to the CRA(s). Enclose a copy of the letter you mailed to whomever is reporting, enclose a copy of the payment proof, and ask them to delete for you.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot...sorry what are the CRA(s)?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm guessing Credit Reporting Agencies....?....if so....which ones?  All of them (Equifax, Experian...whats the 3rd?)?

Message 4 of 5
MsTucker09
Regular Contributor

credit reporting agencies (experian, transunion, and equifax)

Starting Score: EQ 462 9/30/11
Current Score: TU 577 4/10/12 EQ 607 4/10/12 PLUS 627 4/10/12 Beacon 5.0 621 lender pull 4/13/12
Goal Score: 650

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.