cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xaiduz's Credit Rebuilding Journey (with UPDATES)

tag
couponcrazy619
New Contributor

Re: My 10 collections, 1 CO, and how I'll fix them?

@xaiduz114 wrote:

Would the fact that my charge-off was with my old credit union affect another credit union from opening an account? I was with them for 5 years no problem, then things came up one after another... *sigh*

I have paid the charge-off to the CA since when I tried to pay my CU directly, they told me they couldn't take payment anymore, and gave me the number to call the CA, saying I had to go through them. That was the first week of April (When I got the info and paid)... CU still hasn't received the check from the CA 6 weeks later, and I'm getting mixed answers from both sides. Does anyone know how this should be working and if the CU will remove the CO from Chexsystems/CRAs once they get the check?

How long ago was the account reported to Chexsystems? usually in my experience (personal) (fyi, I just got a new account after not being about tofor 7 years) if its more then 5 years you should no longer be reporting to Chexsystems, and there for could go and apply, doesn't matter if you had a prior account in the past with another credit union that went bad. They look at your credit. and based on the score will offer a regular account or a builder one. again (my experience).   

My Fico
EX:660| TU:632 | EQ 671-updated July 2014
Short Term Goal 620's across the board= Meet June 2014
Final Goal: 740's by 2016
Message 11 of 49
couponcrazy619
New Contributor

@couponcrazy619 wrote:

@xaiduz114 wrote:

Would the fact that my charge-off was with my old credit union affect another credit union from opening an account? I was with them for 5 years no problem, then things came up one after another... *sigh*

I have paid the charge-off to the CA since when I tried to pay my CU directly, they told me they couldn't take payment anymore, and gave me the number to call the CA, saying I had to go through them. That was the first week of April (When I got the info and paid)... CU still hasn't received the check from the CA 6 weeks later, and I'm getting mixed answers from both sides. Does anyone know how this should be working and if the CU will remove the CO from Chexsystems/CRAs once they get the check?

How long ago was the account reported to Chexsystems? usually in my experience (personal) (fyi, I just got a new account after not being about tofor 7 years) if its more then 5 years you should no longer be reporting to Chexsystems, and there for could go and apply, doesn't matter if you had a prior account in the past with another credit union that went bad. They look at your credit. and based on the score will offer a regular account or a builder one. again (my experience).   

Also, just take proof that you sent a check or what not to them. Any letter you have to them or them to you agreeeing to pay. 

My Fico
Message 12 of 49
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@couponcrazy619 wrote:

@couponcrazy619 wrote:

@xaiduz114 wrote:

Also, just take proof that you sent a check or what not to them. Any letter you have to them or them to you agreeeing to pay. 

Should I get a print out of the bank statement for when I go to open an account somewhere then? It was paid over the phone with a bank card (Found out later not a smart move, but the card is expired now anyways).

And the c/o was reported beginning 09/2013. I spoke to someone who actually knew what they were talking about just a little bit ago, and said that she will most likely get a batch of checks from the specific CA towards the end of the month based on prior checks she got from them. So I guess now I wait until June to call and check again. But she did tell me that once they do get the check, the c/o will show as paid with a zero balance on both Chexsystems and the CRAs.

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 13 of 49
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

UPDATE: My CU account login is gone. My account is restricted. I'm hoping that this means the check was received, and the amount has been credited to the account, and it has been closed. If I go to the CU in person with a bank statement AS WELL showing it was paid, and verify they have the check credited towards my old account, would I have a good chance of opening another account right then and there? If I recall, I think a gal I spoke to in the beginning of this said I might, but that was over a month ago.

Cards I'm aiming to get:
Message 14 of 49
rbon
New Contributor

I thought once you were in ChexSystems, you were in there for a 2 yr period? Even if it showed as paid? My friend at Chase said that if you don't care for Chase, yes, Wells Fargo and Fifth Third bank have similar "2nd chance accounts". 

Message 15 of 49
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

I haven't read or heard about a two year period...? You mean I wouldn't be able to open an account at all? Heck I'm still gonna try, I love that CU. If I get denied, I'll probably check out the "second chance" accounts that have been recommended.

[EDIT] I hardly know anything about Chexsystems, just that it's basically like a CR for banks/CUs... So I'm hoping if I speak to the right person in the right way, and with my past record there being spotless for nearly a decade, that I will have a good chance and be approved

Cards I'm aiming to get:
Message 16 of 49
couponcrazy619
New Contributor

@xaiduz114 wrote:

I haven't read or heard about a two year period...? You mean I wouldn't be able to open an account at all? Heck I'm still gonna try, I love that CU. If I get denied, I'll probably check out the "second chance" accounts that have been recommended.

[EDIT] I hardly know anything about Chexsystems, just that it's basically like a CR for banks/CUs... So I'm hoping if I speak to the right person in the right way, and with my past record there being spotless for nearly a decade, that I will have a good chance and be approved

I would go try won't hurt...and you are on chexsystems for 5 years from the date you are reported...but if you show the proof you have i think you will be fine...good luck!!

Keep us updated!!!

My Fico
Message 17 of 49
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

Re: My 10 collections, 1 CO, and how I'll fix them

Well like I said, I plan to take a copy of my bf's statement for that transaction when I go to verify that the check got to them (Plus the CU should have record of all the calls I've made the last few weeks), and try to open an account then and there. Also, my old accounts with the CU aren't on my CR... should I ask them to report my closed accounts? I've been with the bank for nearly ten years, my other two accounts were in good standing. I just had to close to avoid money being stolen by my ex. At least, MORE money. :/

Thank you, and I will be updating! Everyone will know my credit journey. haha Smiley Happy

Cards I'm aiming to get:
Message 18 of 49
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

So, good news. Kind of.

I went in withthe bank statement to check on the check status to the CU and try to open an account. One of the women that worked there when I used to go in all the time was still there, and recognized me, which made me feel better about my chances.

The check went through finally, so now my IQCU will no longer pay any mind to the charge-off they previously had from me. I was told that in order for me to get an account, I would need to have two or less derogs, and less than $2,000 in debt. I took my chance with a HP (I only have two in the last two years, and only plan on maybe 2-3 being added over the next year.)

My score with them was 582 (40 higher than my highest FAKO), and I had the CO with the CU (void in their eyes now), and two collections. It looks like they pulled from EX. So far I was in the clear. Unfortunately my debt was about $2,200 for the collections, so I was over that threshold. But she said that once I either get rid of one derog or pay one down to below a total of $2,000 to try again, and I should be able to open an account. She said they have second chance checking, but that she wouldn't suggest I do it because it's $10/mo, plus I don't get a debit card or anything. It'd be more than what I'm paying in fees now for a pre-paid debit. Guess I'm waiting just a little longer to get back with my CU,

Cards I'm aiming to get:
Message 19 of 49
xsvspd
Regular Contributor

Following this....

Hover over card to see limits

Starting score 3/2013 - 585. Score as of 5/2014 - 725.
Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.