cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

You CAN have paid collection accounts removed from your credit report !

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: You CAN have paid collection accounts removed from your credit report !

The argument that a debt collector must delete all information regarding a medical debt once it is paid is the underlying basis of the so-called HIPAA process, and not discussed or advocated on this site.  It is an interpretation of HIPAA, not a legal requirment of statute or case law.

Paying a debt and then filing a dispute will not require deletion.

Request for verification of a paid debt, aside from questionable on its face once willingly paid, requires some showing that the debt is inaccurate.

Unlike a normal debt validation request sent to a debt collector, a dispute under the FCRA must provide a showing of an inaccuracy, with sufficient basis to permit the furnisher to investigate the asserted inaccuracy.   The dispute could be dismissed without investigation as frivolous or irrelevant.

Even if investigated, they can simply verify its accuracy without providing documenttion or proving the legitimacy of the debt.

If sent as a DV request under the FDCPA, they have no requirment to do anything.  It most likely would not be timely, and even if timely, they have already ceased collection on the debt, as there is no more debt, so they have no reason to send any validation.  They could simply disregard any DV request.

In the posted scenario, the specific debt collector appears to have voluntarily deleted.

I hight doubt that the dispute was responded to by the CRA sending a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation stating that they (the CRA) deletied the collection based on lack of vveriication.

Message 11 of 14
Tim_S
Regular Contributor

I don't know how or why the items were deleted, I just know I was informed by the credit bureau that the collection items were being deleted after I paid them and requested verification of the collection items.

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Because once it's paid the CA has no right to verify the dispute. (Medical)
They can only obtain the information when an amount is due. Once the amount is paid they can no longer keep your records or obtain information.
You'd have to do a search on it. But Robert touched on the subject awhile back. Search is your best friend. Lol

Every one of my paid medical collections have been verified.

This is a "YMMV" situation.

Message 13 of 14
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Tim_S wrote:

From everything that I've read, there is nothing you can do to have paid collection items removed from your credit report.

Well, I've recently discovered that isn't true.  Upon getting my credit report back in October, I discovered 3 unpaid collections on my report.  I promptly paid them off and then I disputed each of the 3 collections through the respective credit agencies, asking them for verification of the collections.  Apparently collection agencies won't waste their time to confirm the collections once they're paid, because they've all now been removed from my report.  Good luck!!

This is not something that is recognized as a legitimate way of removing paid collections as we only advocate that one dispute inaccurate information in a TL and to actually advocate the disputing of valid info on ones CR would be a direct violation of myFicos TOS. The proper way to deal with removal of a collection is with a PFD offer prior to payment and if thats not possible a GW letter request to have the TL removed. This thread will now be closed to further comments.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.