Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice on rebuilding my credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

advice on rebuilding my credit

hey everyone, i hope you're all well, little bit about me, i am a 32 year old male with a degree from the now defunct ITT Tech and am currently in the process of rebuilding my credit so that i can get a house for me and my fiancee,

Equifax 643

Transunion 561 (though it does state my score and report is 113days old)

Experian 605

since i graduated my student loans have been in default mostly because i didnt have full time work from 2010 - 2014, but then in 2014 i got a contract job that was full time doing tech support at a local hospital and thanks to that about 5 or so months later i got a full permanent job at the same hospital doing the same work and have been here for 4 years and i couldnt be happier

at the same time some investments my fiancee did finally paid off and she settled all of her student loans and she helped me settle my private student loans, my federal student loans are currently on hold as the department of education is reviewing them to see if they can be fully or partially forgiven under something about if a school gets shut down if they committed fraud or something

and they are going to be under review until april of 2020, i am hopeful that some will be forgiven but at the same time doubtful they will be at all, anyway with my private loans gone they are still showing on my credit reports now i know disputing them can be a bad thing but should i dispuit them to try and get them removed?

i also finally got my first secured credit card (opensky they were the only ones to accept me) and i am going to use it to pay for netflix etc i have a $1000 dollar limit but am wondering what else i can do to try and build my credit up, thanks to a family member i was able to purchase a new car and it does show on my report but it does not increase my score at all.

sorry for this being so long but i wanted to make sure i provided as much info as i can so i can get the best advice that i can, if you have any questions please ask, i want to try and get my credit back in order and fix my past mistakes so i can look forward to a much better future!

41 REPLIES 41
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: advice on rebuilding my credit

A couple of more tradelines couldn't hurt. Have you tried doing a prequalification on Discover's site? 

Also, congrats on the job. I started off at Tech support many years back after getting my MCSE, make sure you keep advancing your skills, and keep your options open. In tech, I personally feel if you don't have the opportunity to move up much in salary or position at your employer, your biggest raise\promotion will be to look elsewhere as corporations typically limit you to 3-5% per year. A new employer will net you 10-20%.  Hope you don't mind my 2 cents as I have been there before. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the kind words and yes i tried discover and a couple of others, i even get those offers in the mail saying i am prequalified but get denied anyway and while opensky may not be the best but its the only one that would accept me.

Message 3 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opensky denied me, so you're in better shape than I was when I started! What I ended up doing to get re-established was doing the Fingerhut Fresh Start program. Once they graduated me, they gave me a 300 crefit limit, and I was able to get a secured card with First Progress. A month-ish later I got a store card for Victoria's Secret. Fingerhut also gave me a CLI so now my limit with them is $600. That takes care of my 3 revolvers, and a PIF installment loan. Not a path I would recommend, but some of us have to take what we can get and be glad of it. It may be worth checking into for you. At least for the short term. Good luck!
Message 4 of 42
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Welcome. Can you give us some history of the baddies that your rebuilding from? Many will help out. Gotta know where you came from so we know where to go.

Message 5 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

private and federal student loans all sallymae

Message 6 of 42
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

No cards ever or collections?

Message 7 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

nope none

Message 8 of 42
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Ah ok. Thin file syndrome. Your starting from fresh. Do you happen to know your FICO scores? You can get them for $1 at creditchecktotal.com and cancel before the trial is up. Sorry about all the questions. The more we know it helps a lot. Welcome also the to fourms

Message 9 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

i posted all the info in my first post

Message 10 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.