Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice/suggestions?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

advice/suggestions?

Hi! I'm fairly young and am trying to rebuild my credit.  I have 1 collection from a cap one recieved on my 18th birthday maxed out the $300 limit and now I owe like 480? (PRA- recently updated policy to delete within 30 days of paid/settled) which lead to bad credit. I currently have a few positives on my account- car loan with 11k balance, been making more than the payment it is 9 months old, Discover It Secured with a $200 limit that is 5 months old, Kohls $300 because I shop there often enough for my kids it is worth it, as well as Old Navy $250 both these store cards are 2 months. I carry usually a $15 total balance each month so my utilization is at 3%. My score has gone up nearly 100 points. I'm sitting at 610.

My collection is 2 years old- if I pay it off and get it deleted would my score jump or drop because the loss of an account?

Should I add more money to my Discover card before it is eligible to graduate? I don't want to end up with a card that's useless with no CLI etc
I was looking into refinancing my car as I am currently paying 29.99%- I will probably wait another 6-9 months before applying for any more credit.

How often do I need to use the store cards so they don't close them? I was thinking once every 3-4 months.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: advice/suggestions?

If you only have one negative and you get it removed, you’ll be looking at a significant score increase, likely more than enough to allow you to refinance your car at a much better rate. Since PRA will delete themselves upon payment, settle for as little as possible - it won’t matter because it’ll be deleted from your reports.

With your cards, pay off two of them each month before the statement date and let the third report a small balance, $5-6. This will maximize your scoring and is known as AZEO, All Zero Except One.

It’s anecdotally said that a higher secured Disco limit begets a higher unsecured limit upon graduation, so if you can add to the deposit, do so. It may help when it graduates, and it’ll allow you more headroom before your utilization percentage hits scoring thresholds that’ll put a dent in your score.

Most evidence says using a store card every 4 months is enough to keep it open. That should be easy enough to do.
Message 2 of 7
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Get that Baddie off your account as soon as possible a temporary drop is better than you having it on your information longer,  I wouldn't worry about adding more money rather than just taking great care of your card and raising your AAoA's.     I would wait a minimum one year before Refinancing and if you can do so with a CU as they tend to offer lower rates.     I'm not sure about store cards I would just ask the store itself but you can always put a small amount on them to keep them active 5 dollars or so and just pay it off every month if you want help in best way to do that we can help too!    Good luck on the build it won't be easy trust me I know but the point is you are starting now and it's never to late to start!

Message 3 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

Get that Baddie off your account as soon as possible a temporary drop is better than you having it on your information longer,  I wouldn't worry about adding more money rather than just taking great care of your card and raising your AAoA's.     I would wait a minimum one year before Refinancing and if you can do so with a CU as they tend to offer lower rates.     I'm not sure about store cards I would just ask the store itself but you can always put a small amount on them to keep them active 5 dollars or so and just pay it off every month if you want help in best way to do that we can help too!    Good luck on the build it won't be easy trust me I know but the point is you are starting now and it's never to late to start!

I respectfully disagree. If a collection is deleted there is no drop temp. There will be a major score increase if its the only collection.

Message 4 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi! I'm fairly young and am trying to rebuild my credit.  I have 1 collection from a cap one recieved on my 18th birthday maxed out the $300 limit and now I owe like 480? (PRA- recently updated policy to delete within 30 days of paid/settled) which lead to bad credit. ( How long ago was the charge off?) I currently have a few positives on my account- car loan with 11k balance, been making more than the payment it is 9 months old, Discover It Secured with a $200 limit that is 5 months old (Your getting close to graduation. You'll get a CLI after graduating), Kohls $300 because I shop there often enough for my kids it is worth it, as well as Old Navy $250 both these store cards are 2 months. I carry usually a $15 total balance each month so my utilization is at 3%. My score has gone up nearly 100 points. I'm sitting at 610.

My collection is 2 years old- if I pay it off and get it deleted would my score jump or drop because the loss of an account? JUMP!

Should I add more money to my Discover card before it is eligible to graduate? (If you got more give more) I don't want to end up with a card that's useless with no CLI etc
I was looking into refinancing my car as I am currently paying 29.99%- I will probably wait another 6-9 months before applying for any more credit.

How often do I need to use the store cards so they don't close them? I was thinking once every 3-4 months.

Once that collection drops off you may get enough of a score boost to peek around at pre-quals. Especially with a CU or your bank. It would help us with what is your FICO score. Is that 610 a FICO from Disco?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

my "original" debt they purchased was 584- my credit limit was only 300 and I offered 200, they countered with 411 lol and I told them I would not pay a cent over the original limit of $300. I demanded a settlement agreement letter be emailed to me. It took a lot of back and forth on the phone with a supervisor to get it emailed and saved to my desktop as my proof it's ok settled/pif. 

Paid it- now gotta wait for it to be PIF and then the tradeline deleted. And hopefully a score jump.

My discover fico is actualy 633, I'm going with the lower Credit Karma 608. Experian pulls a 615. The original charge off was 2015. I am still debating the addtl limit on the discover because what if i don't graduate?

Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

my "original" debt they purchased was 584- my credit limit was only 300 and I offered 200, they countered with 411 lol and I told them I would not pay a cent over the original limit of $300. I demanded a settlement agreement letter be emailed to me. It took a lot of back and forth on the phone with a supervisor to get it emailed and saved to my desktop as my proof it's ok settled/pif. 

Paid it- now gotta wait for it to be PIF and then the tradeline deleted. And hopefully a score jump.

My discover fico is actualy 633, I'm going with the lower Credit Karma 608. Experian pulls a 615. The original charge off was 2015. I am still debating the addtl limit on the discover because what if i don't graduate?

As far as your store cards from a post above once every 6 months is pretty good. Personally I would not add more money to Discover, if you dont graduate when expected then that might be the time to reconsider.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.