Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ahven'havPaid Midland without a PFD, but settled in full, how to dispute

tag
Tooliebell
Frequent Contributor

ahven'havPaid Midland without a PFD, but settled in full, how to dispute

Before I found this forum, I made settlement offers with all my baddies. I settled in full with Midland Credit Management on two accounts. They haven't reported an updated balance of $0 yet.  I want to go ahead and dispute this account, either to correct the balance information or have it go away completely.  I have read that Midland often won't respond to the CRA once an account is settled and paid because they don't want to waste their time.  My question is, when I dispute the account, should I say, "not mine" or should I say, "paid" and send in the settlement letter with a copy of the receipt of mail, and a copy of the check. 

My hope is they try to verify teh account and Midland doesn't respond and it gets deleted.  But if i dispute saying paid, will they just update the information to paid.  My feeling is to dispute, "account not mine"  And the best that happens is that is come back deleted because they won't respond or the 2nd best option is it comes back as paid with a zero balance.

What do you think?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ahven'havPaid Midland without a PFD, but settled in full, how to dispute

@Tooliebell wrote:

Before I found this forum, I made settlement offers with all my baddies. I settled in full with Midland Credit Management on two accounts. They haven't reported an updated balance of $0 yet.  I want to go ahead and dispute this account, either to correct the balance information or have it go away completely.  I have read that Midland often won't respond to the CRA once an account is settled and paid because they don't want to waste their time.  My question is, when I dispute the account, should I say, "not mine" or should I say, "paid" and send in the settlement letter with a copy of the receipt of mail, and a copy of the check. 

My hope is they try to verify teh account and Midland doesn't respond and it gets deleted.  But if i dispute saying paid, will they just update the information to paid.  My feeling is to dispute, "account not mine"  And the best that happens is that is come back deleted because they won't respond or the 2nd best option is it comes back as paid with a zero balance.

What do you think?

I'm not sure how you could pay them in full and then come back and claim the account is not yours. You shouldn't dispute information you know is correct.

But perhaps I'm confused. It happens quite often.  Smiley Happy

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 2 of 11
Tooliebell
Frequent Contributor

Sorry if I made it confusing. 

The account is mine.  They won't update the balance to zero.  I was kinda looking for a loophole so that I could just get it deleted instead of updated, sorry if that seems immoral.  My question was do I dispute the balance or should i just dispute the account with the reason it isn't mine.  It is almost like I want to play dumb and hope that Midland doesn't respond to the CRA.  If I send in the information that I paid it, then maybe the CRA will only update it as paid.  I want to take a chance and get lucky so it gets deleted.  I know it sounds horrible.  But I paid for that debt.  I paid way more than the balance on it when I defaulted and I paid lots of interest and fees, I just want to have something go in my favor since paying for it after it was defaulted means basically nothing.

Message 3 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

I would try to work with Midland first. If you have an agreement in writing send a copy to them gently reminding them of what they agreed to do in exchange for payment.

How long have you been waiting for the balance to update to zero?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 4 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Just request CA account status update to paid, with $0 balance owed!  That is what you are entitled to. Then let it alone.

You paid it. Prima facie legal acknowlege of the debt.

Delays in paying are what led to legal interest accruing, and were apparently legal chargesl.  You did gain something by paying... you avoided a day in court!!!

To argue now that it was not a debt of yours......?  What can you now ask them to verfify? That you paid?

It is water both over the bridge, and under the dam.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Just request CA account status update to paid, with $0 balance owed!  That is what you are entitled to. Then let it alone.

You paid it. Prima facie legal acknowlege of the debt.

Delays in paying are what led to legal interest accruing, and were apparently legal chargesl.  You did gain something by paying... you avoided a day in court!!!

To argue now that it was not a debt of yours......?  What can you now ask them to verfify? That you paid?

It is water both over the bridge, and under the dam.

You may want to rephrase that because as a matter of law, no.

It is well-settled law that mere payment of an obligation is not, under normal conditions, in and of itself legal admission of the obligation.  Courts have continually and without exception held that there can be an almost infinite number of perfectly valid reasons why one may choose to pay a debt that is not theirs and mere payment does not establish a presumption of legitimacy of the debt or a continued obligation of payment. 

Whether or not one should dispute what appears to be valid reporting is another story, but leave force of law out of the equation.     

Message 6 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

You could still pay for some thing and still does not admit that is your account and dispute the account.  At this point, as long as they CA does not acknowledge the disputed account it will drop off.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:

You could still pay for some thing and still does not admit that is your account and dispute the account.  At this point, as long as they CA does not acknowledge the disputed account it will drop off.

You are not only legally correct, but also logically.

Message 8 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Good point, O6.

I will thus bow from the legal presumption, and rely intsead only on what I think most would presume from voluntary payment of debt.

That it was legit.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just PIF my last collection account with midland.  They sent me a paid in full letter in less then a week.  I would just try to call them and see if they will send you a PIF letter the key is be nice if you have to ask to talk to a manager.  After you get the letter either dispute through the credit reporting agencies or ask if you can fax or mail them a copy.  Good luck

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.