Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another judgment question.....

tag
katiecakes
Established Member

another judgment question.....

Hi!

I need some wisdom. After recieving a summons from GEmoneybank(care credit card,charged $400 dental appt.,yada yada yada,I now owe them 3,800 in interest & fees) I contacted the plainiff's attorney and was unwilling to stop judgment for a down payment less than $800. After that it would be $250 a month which I couldnt pay even I wanted to. I am low income and currently in school to change this. Anyways,it looks like I'm not getting out of this so I am trying to accept it and stop freaking out about it. My question is,anybody that has been through this can tell me if it has a major impact on your current credit cards? 

this is what i have:

capital one CL $500

capital one secured $200

merrick $650

credit one $300

sears solutions $ 400

first niagra $750

I have maintained all these cards a year, no lates, all in good standing. I have payed 2 auto loans, no lates at all. This judgment will be the only negative on my report. I have been losing sleep over this,been a nerveous wreck since the summons. I understand I brought this on myself,just hoping for some advice from someone whose been in this situation. Thanks for reading!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
katiecakes
Established Member

Re: another judgment question.....

and I realize my credit cards all kinda suck but thank god I at least had these before the major negative hits my score...

Message 2 of 9
madmann26
Valued Contributor

It's a major derog so your score will take a hit. It shouldn't affect your cards right off, but under a periodic review, your creditors may take adverse action against you such as closing the account, making your limit lower or they may do nothing at all.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 3 of 9
Jutz
Valued Contributor

With those cards, as long as you maintain them, I don't think you're going to see any adverse action, although you're probably not getting a CLI anytime soon.  Is there any documentation describing how a $400 charge ballooned to $3800?  That's a 950% increase...

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 9
katiecakes
Established Member

I know,it's crazy and soo frustrating. This care credit card is a charge card that can only be used for medical purposes,at the time I had no insurance. I was never even issued a credit card in the mail (I know ppl with same account that get a card so idk wth) or recieved any paperwork. It was something I applyed for at the dentist office and I was so stupid at the time,just thought it was an account to make payments on the one bill. Anyway,by the time I heard anything about it,they called and stated I was one month late and I needed to pay $75. I was so overwhelmed at the time I just blew it off and here I am. In my 20's I didn't care about credit. Now I'm 31 and paying the price. Live and learn,right?

Message 5 of 9
Blackhawks_girl30
Contributor

Just because they are asking for all that money does not mean the judge is going to grant them that amount.  SHOW UP TO COURT!!  If you have the $400 bring that with you and tell the judge that you are offering to pay the amount you owe ($400 plus put a little bit extra for interest to show good faith).  Explain that you are willing to pay your debts and you have tried to work out a plan with the creditor, but they are asking for an absurd amount of money which you just do not have.  The judge will ask for proof from the creditor as to why they are claiming such an amount.  They can not just go in and throw out a random amount without backup.  Just be as nice as possible to the judge and you never know what the outcome will be =) 

Message 6 of 9
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@Blackhawks_girl30 wrote:

Just because they are asking for all that money does not mean the judge is going to grant them that amount.  SHOW UP TO COURT!!  If you have the $400 bring that with you and tell the judge that you are offering to pay the amount you owe ($400 plus put a little bit extra for interest to show good faith).  Explain that you are willing to pay your debts and you have tried to work out a plan with the creditor, but they are asking for an absurd amount of money which you just do not have.  The judge will ask for proof from the creditor as to why they are claiming such an amount.  They can not just go in and throw out a random amount without backup.  Just be as nice as possible to the judge and you never know what the outcome will be =) 

Solid advice.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 9
katiecakes
Established Member

Thank you all for the great advice. I answered the summons and i will show up to court with no lawyer and probly not enough money...but I know I will regret it deeply if I just blow it off. I am only trying to prepare myself for the worst case scenerio
Message 8 of 9
Brandnick
New Contributor

Most creditors don't  expect you to not show up, showing up means you have won half the battle. Be confident and honest to the judge and it will work out.  Just bring want you can afford even it's $100 the judge will understand. 

Remember to show up 

Current Score: 771 - 11/21/2012/ Amex Pull
Late Payment: 0 / Collections: 0
AAOA: 6.3 Years

"My Scores Yesterday or Last week or even Last month has no value when applying for credit today. The value is not in my score but the information in my credit file. Once the information is good the score will follow"
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.