Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best way to improve score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

best way to improve score

Hey all. Long story short, I opened 5 credit cards and maxed them out. I lost my job and went almost 7 months without making any payments. 

Amex $5000 limit 30/60/90 days late reported

Chase $4800 limit 30/60/90 days late reported

Chase $6300 limit 30/60/90 days late reported

Discover was $1000 limit, lowered to $500 no lates $0 balance

Capital One $500 limit , $0 balance, no lates

I have a car loan that I am the co-signor on. The vehicle is mine, but someone else makes the payments. $11,000 still owed. No lates.

Starting in July last year I got a new job and I started paying off debts. Chase closed both accounts but got me on a 0% interest for the next 5 years, and I have autopay setup. I just paid off my Amex, and it has a $650 balance from my monthly expenses. The statement closes in a few days.

I plan to start sending GW letters to Amex in hopes to get the late payments off my account. My credit score in Credit Karma and Mint is 619. I still owe $6,000 and $4,2750 on my chase accounts. I have been on a payment plan since Sept 2018. Should I start trying to get those lates removed or do I need to pay the balances off first? What do I need to do to start increasing my score?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: best way to improve score

Welcome. Go by your TU FICO score on your Disco card and get Disco Scorecard for your EX FICO free. Forget the Vantage scores. Personally I'd do step 1 and just pay everything off first and get the debts paid. GW's for 90 day lates dont come up here much for successful removals. If at all.  Once the accounts are paid off then you may see a score change for the better. Depending how long ago the lates were reported. Good Luck!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.