cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

better to pay down cc or installment loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

better to pay down cc or installment loan?

I have an installment loan for 5000 with a balance of 4900.  I have one cc with a 6500 balance and an 8000 limit.  Four other CC with less than 10% util.  I have $6000 to pay down debt. Would it best to pay down cc or installment loan or use half towards each?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: better to pay down cc or installment loan?

For score increases....CC util counts for more.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

So is the installment loan not included in the revolving credit %.  If not I guess it would be best to pay the cc down to under 9% and just apply the rest to the installment loan. Is that correct? Thanks so much for all of your assistance.

Message 3 of 5
GLIGUY23
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So is the installment loan not included in the revolving credit %.  If not I guess it would be best to pay the cc down to under 9% and just apply the rest to the installment loan. Is that correct? Thanks so much for all of your assistance.

The installment loan is not revolving. I just aquired a credit card because I had no revolving credit only Installment loans. From what I have gathered on these forums lowering utilization on your credit cards will help increase your score. 

EQ:702 TU:662 EX: 701 - 11/06/19
EQ: 678 TU: 712 EX: 730 - 8/2/2013
EQ: 677 TU: 683 - 04/07/12
EQ: 560 TU: 591 EX: 581 - 12/29/08
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You score takes into consideration revolving util (this is CC's, credit you can use over and over) and your installment util (this is credit that you use once and when PIF it is closed).

However, installment util counts for far less than revolving util does.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.