cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blue cross blue shield, and collections.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

blue cross blue shield, and collections.

I need some advice for anyone that has dealt with insurance or medical bills.

Okay, where to start? Back in 2011, my husband had a surgery for a hernia. We paid for our part at the day of surgery. 1400 bucks straight from our account. Well, about a month later, our insurance provider sends us a letter stating that they need proof that we have no other insurance provider, because my husband got out of the usmc a year prior. They wanted his DD214, which proved he got out of the Military. Another couple of months pass, and we receive a bill from the surgery facility stating that our insurance failed to pay what they billed them. Needless to say, it went to collections.

I talked to Blue Cross and they said that the facility failed to send his medical records within the 90 day period, so they were under no obligation to pay them.

Can anything be done or should I just accept that a 2700 dollar surgery will be staying under collections. Can I dispute this? I hope someone out there can giveme advice....this is frustrating beyond belief.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Re: blue cross blue shield, and collections.

Sorry to say that you should have fought them at the time.  Usually you have 2 years to get them to pay.  The only exception I have gotten to that was one bill I was fighting them for for over 2 years which they paid after 3 years.

With surgery in 2011, it has been 3 years, so I think you are SOL on this one.

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate your honesty. I guess blue cross does everything they can to avoid paying. I wish my husband hadn't put off handling it all these years, but lesson learned.
Message 3 of 4
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

I don't think it's to late. This scenario just happened to me and 3 years later, I got my bill re-submitted to my insurance. You need to get that bill re-submitted to your insurance.
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.