Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I DV?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

can I DV?

Hi Guys, I'm trying to get 5 'baddies' off my report. A member here suggested that I DV, (except the one that is still with the OC- i'm going to attemt a PFD with them) The other 4 are with Collection Agency's...but are several years old. Can I still  send DV leeters to them?  thanks!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: can I DV?

Yes, you can request debt validation from a debt collector at any time.

However, if a DV is untimely, meaning more than 30 days has expired since the debt collector sent dunning notice, then it imposes no cease collection bar, and the debt collector can choose to ignore it and go on about their collection business as normal. 

Many debt collectors will still respond to a DV request, even if untimely.

Just dont expect a response, or file any disputes or complaints should you hear nothing.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you RobertEG. So, they don't have to respond at all if they choose not to? about how long after I send out DV's , should I send PFD letters if I dont hear anything? do you think they will be less likely to accept PFD's if I send a DV first? I'm not sure about the validity of several of these debts, but I want them OFF my CR's if possible, and am willing to pay if necessary-I don't want to ruin my chances of a PFD. thoughts?

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Even if a DV is timely, meaning it is sent prior to any dunning notice, or within 30-days of receipt of dunning notice, the debt collector is not required to respond to a DV.

The intent of congress in the DV process was primarily to give consumers a reprieve from active collection activities until they debt collector validated the debt.

It is hard to say whether a request for debt valiation will affect any subsequent grant of a pay for deletion offer.

Probably of more significance is whether or not the debt is still within SOL for your state, and how close their collection is to becoming excluded from your credit report.

What is the date of the first delinquency on the OC account (DOFD) for each debt now under collection?

How large is the debt, and is your primary goal to get the collection deleted from your credit report, or to first be satisifed that it is a valid debt beore you decide to pay?

There are no firm answers.....

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks again RobertEG,

Honestly, my primary goal at this point is to just get them off my report. I'd love to ReFi my car ASAP & was just denied at Patelco CU due to too many collections. here's a list of my baddies, all are out of SOL except the last one. 

CBEGroup (OC was pg&e)-reporting on EX only
collection
$293
due to fall off dec 2016

CBNA/CitbankNA-reporting on EX & EQ as CBNA/TU as CitibankNA
charge off/placed for collection/skip
$509
due to fall off oct 2016

Midland (OC was citibank)-reporting on EX & EQ
collection
$1105 (orig. amt. was $807)
due to fall off nov 2016

AWA (OC was Two Jinn)-reporting on EX only
collection
$1152 (orig amt. was $900)
due to fall off sept 2017

AFNI (OC Sprint)-reporting on EX only
collection
$1201
due to fall off nov 2020 (so still in SOL)

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know I've posted my Baddies list a few different times in different posts hope thats not annoying or against forum etiquette-just trying to get as much feedback as possible! thanks all! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.