cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't pfd due to Fair Credit Reporting Act?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

can't pfd due to Fair Credit Reporting Act?

I talked to a very nice BoA representative today(who called me after I sent a ton of PFD letters to every BoA address I could find) about a charge off account (government travel card) I'm trying to PFD but said that they could not do this due to the fair credit reporting act. And that I would basically have to pay it off, even through this charge off is not my fault(164 total).

Is this true? Should I start sending out GW letters? Or more PFD letters? ugh this is so annoying its dropped my credit from 730 to 610!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: can't pfd due to Fair Credit Reporting Act?

No, he's wrong. The FCRA states that if derogatory information is on your credit reports it must be accurate. That's simply to protect you, the consumer, from spiteful creditors who want to penalize you for some imagined wrong -- or by mistake.

Under the FCRA, companies can (and many DO) give "goodwill" adjustments and accept PFDs. The boards here are full of success stories!

Now, I don't know how you want to correct Mr. BoA, but he's wrong. And you can tell him the FCRA says so.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found BoA very hard to deal with - I tried to GW removal of two lates dating back to 2/02 (yeah falling off in <6 months), and they stubbornly refused every time (and I keep sending them letters).
Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I talked to a very nice BoA representative today(who called me after I sent a ton of PFD letters to every BoA address I could find) about a charge off account (government travel card) I'm trying to PFD but said that they could not do this due to the fair credit reporting act. And that I would basically have to pay it off, even through this charge off is not my fault(164 total).

Is this true? Should I start sending out GW letters? Or more PFD letters? ugh this is so annoying its dropped my credit from 730 to 610!

Keep sending the PFDs. Bug them into submission. Try also planetfeedback.com. I got a Verizon Wireless account off via a PFD through PFB.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.