Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

car loan screw up

tag
excop01
Regular Contributor

car loan screw up

So i bought a mercedes e class back in 2010, paid it up till 2012,lost job and had to default, but i did a dumb chpt  13 to try and keep the car. dumn move!

anyway so i decided to dismiss the chpt 13 cause i just didnt want to go through with all that crap for 4 years. so the car was repossessed fine. i just used lyft to get to my new job for about a year.

so i decided to get a new car, scores were the lowest i ever had. but for some reason someone was looking out for me and the same company  gave me a new loan. which i thought was crazy consider i just defaulted on the last loan. but i didnt want to make any waves i needed a new car and didnt want to deal with that right then. I got a new car right off the show room floor, 2017 wasnt the kind of car i would normally drive but at this point i didnt give a crap long as it was drivable. I got some crazy high interest which was 28.5 percent but the payments were in my budget so i went with it. 

paid it for 2 years faithfully while  i was on the rebuild. Fast forward till today...

scores are much better traded in that car to get a better car and scores much better with great rates. 

now mind you this old car has never hit my credit report, nor have i got any correspondence from this company on the mercedes.

so i assume they sold it and got the money for it, and they finance the new 2017 car. 

A few days ago i receieve a letter from some lawyer here in my area asking me for 12000 dollar. I was like they got to be kidding me. i thought i just paid these people 14k for a tradein on the car thinking they were talking about the yaris. They i looked deeper and found out they were talking about the mercedes. 

I gave they lawyer office a call and didnt say it was mine in anyway but i told them i needed this validated. So im waiting on that piece of 

work. 

Being that ive been on this site for so long ,im sure you are going to tell me to get a lawyer.  no doubt. but i wanted to get a little insight to what should i expect. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: car loan screw up

Need a timeline with dates. Mercedes was repo'ed when? Whats the SOL in your state?

When was the Yaris bought? Was it paid in full?

Present vehicle was bought?

Message 2 of 7
excop01
Regular Contributor

the mercedes was bought in 2010. it was repossed in 2016. the yaris was bought 2017  financed by the same company. traded in march 2019 paid off.  i hope this helps firemedic1

Message 3 of 7
excop01
Regular Contributor

oh sorry missed the sol,.  ga is 6 years, 

Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You first need to figure out when the SOL began to run on this, it would be from the DoFD, this being the day after the first payment due being missed and never again being brought current. It is a written contract for SOL purposes.

Message 5 of 7
excop01
Regular Contributor

ok i got ya. and that was the reason i asked for a validation. so they will have to send me all the paperwork. and i believe all that should be in the paperwork.  thank u. im sure they still have time to sue. just got to figure out how much time i have, or should i try and get a lawyer to work out a deal for this before they put it on my credit report or taking it to court. 

Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@excop01 wrote:

ok i got ya. and that was the reason i asked for a validation. so they will have to send me all the paperwork. and i believe all that should be in the paperwork.  thank u. im sure they still have time to sue. just got to figure out how much time i have, or should i try and get a lawyer to work out a deal for this before they put it on my credit report or taking it to court. 

Typically a collector gives 30 days to take care of it before it hits your CR. You dont need a lawyer to work out a payment deal on it you can do that yourself, its even possible you could work out a deal that would be less than what they want.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.