Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closed accts reporting current payment history

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

closed accts reporting current payment history

I paid these accts off and either I closed them or the grantor did.  I recently disputed accuracy with the CRAs and they are reporting these accts as pays as agreed closed even though they have been closed for more than 2 years so on the reports ALL bureaus are saying OK in the blocks up to the current month. For example I closed and acct in july of 09 they are reporting pays as agreed up until this month.  I have three accts like this.  Is this inaccurate reporting?  Im just confused as to why they would report timely payments on a closed acct.  I am under the belief that reporting stops when accts are PIF and closed.  Please correct me or tell me what this is all about.  thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: closed accts reporting current payment history

It most likely means that the creditor, for some reason, is continuing to make monthly reporting on the accounts, even though closed.

Many creditors, particularly the big guns, make regular, monthly reporting on their accounts under an automated system that just cranks out the string of data and sends it to the CRA.  They most likely still have your accounts in their "to be reported monthly" list.

Not an issue, and certainly not an adverse issue, provided the accounts show a current status of closed and a current balance of $0.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

They do show closed and zero balances, I guess my question here is if I can use that as leverage.  The age of the accts is not even close to my oldest so a TL deletion wouldn't hurt me.  Anything I can do?

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I dont see any "leverage" based on an inaccuracy of that type.

In any dispute, the furnisher always has the right to simply correct their reporting so as to make it accurate.  Deletion of the inaccurate information is only required should they be unable to verify and report it accurately. 

Most likely, they just filed a conventional monthly reporting that "updated" only in the sense of re-reporting information previously reported. 

Its always good to get your file corrected if you feel it does not accurately reflect your history, but I dont see a major issue.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.