Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

closed as bad debt 12 accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

closed as bad debt 12 accounts

Hello,

I was International student in US since 2010-2015, and during this period I got SSN and credit cards. The credit cads were closed as a bad debt because I could not pay it that time, now I am in my country and I was just wondering if this would cause me a problems in the future if I want to visit the US for work or living there. the total debt is about 15k.

I appreciate your help 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: closed as bad debt 12 accounts

Of course it would.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you clarify please?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Can you clarify please?
Those negative accounts will stay on your credit reports for at least seven years and will make getting new credit difficult.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about legal side? Am I going to get arrested in the airport for it? I need no more credit cards
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Debt is civil, not criminal, so NO, you will not be arrested for it, at the airport or anywhere else.

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The creditor could, provided the debt is still within the statute of limitations in the state they bring a civil action seeking a judgment, file a civl action seeking recovery.

However, as stated in earlier responses, debt is not a criminal matter in the U.S., so you will not be charged with a criminal offense or arrested.

The effects could be entry of a judgment into your credit report.

Once the creditor has obtained a judgment, they can then proceed to attempting to attach your assets or garnish your pay.

If that is also successful, you will then have a court ordered garnishment filed with your emplpyer. 

When did each debt first become delinquent?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It could keep you from getting a job if they run a credit check.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.