cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

collection call 9 years after last payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

collection call 9 years after last payment?

In my younger days I really didn't care too much about paying debts. I had a Capital One card that I made a few payments on the pretty much forgot about it. It was on my report so long that it eventually dropped off and I thought I was free. Then today I got a call from an agency asking about it. The woman said it was opened in 04 the last payment was made in 05 and it's been with them since 07. I played dumb the whole time blah blah blah. Anyway Pennsylvania has a 4 year statute of limitations, so I'm pretty sure I don't have to pay it.

What do I do? Do I write a letter to the collection agency and tell them that the SOL is up? Also wh did I pop back up on their radar?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: collection call 9 years after last payment?

@Anonymous wrote:
In my younger days I really didn't care too much about paying debts. I had a Capital One card that I made a few payments on the pretty much forgot about it. It was on my report so long that it eventually dropped off and I thought I was free. Then today I got a call from an agency asking about it. The woman said it was opened in 04 the last payment was made in 05 and it's been with them since 07. I played dumb the whole time blah blah blah. Anyway Pennsylvania has a 4 year statute of limitations, so I'm pretty sure I don't have to pay it.

What do I do? Do I write a letter to the collection agency and tell them that the SOL is up? Also wh did I pop back up on their radar?

JDB...lol. Did you ask annoying questions, and tell them you really enjoy talking with them?

Being serious....they might be keeping tabs on you by means of data supplied by the CRAs, to most every subscribed CA..which is normal, and most people don't realize it happens. It's called your "collection score." This is paid for by the CAs, so they can stalk better...lol.

As your credit improves, or you do a mortgage, you'll see everyone under the sun crawling from under that rock to bother you for money.

Message 2 of 13
creditFiend
Established Contributor

Pull a copy of your credit report to see the exact date the collection was placed. If it falls after 4 years for Pennsylvania, then I'd do an online dispute with all 3 CBs. Reason: You are not liable for said debt. If it does fall within SOL, the bureaus should remove the collection. Also check for possible judgments. If so, that's a different ball game...but try the dispute first if no judgments. GL!
Last app: 2/21/2016
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
PenFed Thrifty ($500)| USAA Rate Advantage ($7K)
Message 3 of 13
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@JaB8199 wrote:
Pull a copy of your credit report to see the exact date the collection was placed. If it falls after 4 years for Pennsylvania, then I'd do an online dispute with all 3 CBs. Reason: You are not liable for said debt. If it does fall within SOL, the bureaus should remove the collection. Also check for possible judgments. If so, that's a different ball game...but try the dispute first if no judgments. GL!

Read up on the difference of SOL and CRTP. Two different animals.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not on my credit report though. It was for years but then it just dropped off.
Message 5 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
It's not on my credit report though. It was for years but then it just dropped off.

CAs can continue to attempt to collect on debt even after it falls off your reports;  however it can't be readded to your CRs.

Most people just ignore or send a C&D when zombie debt pops up.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 13
creditFiend
Established Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4➡Thanks for the suggestion but my answer remains the same to OP. I am merely explaining my experience on having an old collection removed. Though I've learned something new today regarding the difference in SOL CRTP (never knew about this); If the collection was actually on OP's credit report, I feel he/she would have a good chance of it being removed through dispute. GL OP in however you decide to resolve this.
Amex PRG (NPSL)| Amex Hilton Surpass ($17.6K)| Barclays Arrival WEM ($13K)| Barclays SM ($11K)| Capital One QS ($15K)
CareCredit (15.6K)| Chase CSP ($12K)| Chase Hyatt ($5K)| Chase FU VS ($7K)| Chase Ritz ($16.7K)| Citi DC ($2.4K)
Discover It ($4K)| Lowe's ($17K)| MSUFCU ($5K)| Nasa FCU ($20K)| Navy Cash Rewards ($20K)| Navy CLOC ($15K)
Message 7 of 13
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@JaB8199 wrote:
@Burned2manybridgesB4➡Thanks for the suggestion but my answer remains the same to OP. I am merely explaining my experience on having an old collection removed. Though I've learned something new today regarding the difference in SOL CRTP (never knew about this); If the collection was actually on OP's credit report, I feel he/she would have a good chance of it being removed through dispute. GL OP in however you decide to resolve this.

I understand, but avoiding the "ethics of disputing valid information,"......

The risk to disputing are:

Updating an old baddie that hasn't moved in a while, causing a hit since it looks "new" again.

Pis*ing off the CA/OC...leading to legal action, if the amount merits the attempt.

Getting locked out of your own credit files for being deemed as an excessive disputer.

Losing valuable TLs, when they're accidentally removed with a baddie..and they don't come back.

Message 8 of 13
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Since it's not reporting, I would send the collector a FOAD letter, basically stating..

Re: Act# XXXXXXX

The collection of $XXX from company ABC is outside the STATE statute of limitations. Please stop all further collection activity and cease all further communication.

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 9 of 13
creditFiend
Established Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@JaB8199 wrote:

I understand, but avoiding the "ethics of disputing valid information,"......

Right.  The information is valid, but "IF the time has expired, the information should no longer be on the credit report."

I was not suggesting anything unethical.

The risk to disputing are:

Updating an old baddie that hasn't moved in a while, causing a hit since it looks "new" again.

Pis*ing off the CA/OC...leading to legal action, if the amount merits the attempt.

Getting locked out of your own credit files for being deemed as an excessive disputer.

I have disputed items for myself & others only once if the collection was due to expire, & the bureau was slow in removing.  I would never suggest anyone to dispute only for the purpose of repetitiously disputing with no valid cause.

Losing valuable TLs, when they're accidentally removed with a baddie..and they don't come back.

This has not happened to me, but see your point.

Okay OP.  Keep us posted on your individual results.  What works for one, may not work for all.
 HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!  I'M OUTSmiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.