Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

furious! need advice on incorrect reporting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

furious! need advice on incorrect reporting

Background:  When I pulled my credit reports this summer, I found a couple of collections that I didn't realize I owed.  One was for CMI, collecting for Comcast (Comcast was not reporting).   I was being charged $50 for a modem that was not returned.  I called Comcast and paid them over the phone.  That was almost 3 months ago.

I have been trying to GW CMI in an effort to have them remove the collection.  In August, after emailing a GW to the CEO, I received a response from their General Counsel that they would not delete, blah blah blah, but that also says, "We will, however, assist you by updating all three national credit bureaus with the news that your account has been paid in full."

Today, two credit bureaus had updates from CMI.  Instead of reporting a $0 balance, they are now showing a balance owed of $44.  My EQ FICO dropped 7 points.

How would you handle this?  Should I respond to the CEO/General Counsel that my credit reports are NOT showing as paid in full?  Or should I file a dispute with the credit bureaus?

I'm just so frustrated with this.  I had to suffer an update for an inaccurate report.  Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: furious! need advice on incorrect reporting

Have you tried contacting Comcast & having them pull that back??  That collection agency does NOT own the debt.

Try comcast before trying a dispute.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BungalowMo wrote:

Have you tried contacting Comcast & having them pull that back??  That collection agency does NOT own the debt.

Try comcast before trying a dispute.

That was really good advice.  I called Comcast and they said their system showed I had a NEGATIVE balance of $44.  (So now, I don't know why I had a collection to begin with...)

He took down the info on CMI and said he'd have a supervisor call me back to figure out why this is so screwed up.

I'm really hoping that given all the problems, I can get some sympathy in asking Comcast to just pull this back and remove it and save me yet another update and ding to my credit.

I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Message 3 of 4
daisyduke
Valued Contributor

i would suggest you get the phone number to the collections department - that's a different office with regular business hours, 8 am to 4 pm. i wish i had the number for you. maybe if you dial the 1800 COMCAST -number you can ask them for the direct phone number. talk to someone in authority, a manager, a supervisor. write notes, name, time of phone call, what was said.

comcast has all kinds of billing problems, speaking from recent personal experience.

Starting Score: 682 EQ, 663 TU
Current Score: 687 EQ - 705 TU on 7/18/10
Goal Score: 700 + both EQ and TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.