cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do you know if they are collecting on behalf or bought the debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how do you know if they are collecting on behalf or bought the debt?

Okay, maybe this is a dumb question, but I have a few collection accounts on my file and I am blue in the face trying to dispute them. I think they are from my ex (whom I was never married too, but some how his stuff ended up on my credit file). Now how do you know if a debt collector has bought the account for pennies on the dollar or is just simply collecting on behalf of the origional debtor?

I don't understand how a company can write off a debt on thier taxes and get credit for it at the end of the year as a loss, but stil sell the debt and take money for the account?

Anyway, I am considering using one of those letters offering a settlement. How much should I offer if they have bought the debt?

THanks!
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how do you know if they are collecting on behalf or bought the debt?

Ok, where did you get your reports?  Directly from the CRA or from a monitoring service such as CCT (Credit Check Total)? 

Were these joint accounts?  If not, then they shouldn't be on your report and thus, theoretically, easier to get removed. 

The amount you should offer in a PFD (Pay for Delete) can be addressed once you know more information.
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The collections are from medical bills for our daughter, which were set up in his name, because our parenting plan/court order, said he was responsible for them. They were never set up in my name, but when he got married, he had his wife call into the hospital and pretend to be me and "authorized" them to put the bill in my name.  They wouldn't put the bill back in his name unless he authorized it, which he wouldn't. I showed them the court order, etc, but it didn't matter. I have had no luck in getting it off directly from the CRA.

I looked at my reports through annualcreditreports.com and through myfico.

The collecting agencies are cbu collections and cbo collections. They are nasty a--h---s. My huband and I would like to buy a house and the mortgage company wants them either off or paid.

And in general I just would like to know are all collection agencies debt buyers? Have they bought the debt? Or are they simply collecting for the hospital, or credit card company?
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The one thing I can tell you for sure is this is Happy Days' department!  I think I remember her saying they can't sell medical collections to JDBs, but could very well be mistaken about that.

You might PM her and give her a link to this thread...ask her to read it.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would *think* a court order supercedes a simple phone call from some random female.  Regardless of what they're supposed to do, the CRAs don't always adhere to the FCRA and sometimes need to be "nudged" in that direction.

Happy, sidewinder and several others have a great deal of knowledge about medical collections, especially as some of them work in the medical field.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do those reports give you the option of looking at account details?  If the OC is reporting a 0 balance but the CA is reporting an actual balance, then that usually means they've charged it off, sold it, etc., but I'm not positive whether they can actually sell medical collections.

No, all CAs aren't JDBs but some of the "big boys" definitely are.

While waiting to hear back from Happy or somebody else more knowledgeable than I, you could search the forum for "medical collections" ~ you'll find a TON of info!

I looked at my reports through annualcreditreports.com and through myfico.

And in general I just would like to know are all collection agencies debt buyers? Have they bought the debt? Or are they simply collecting for the hospital, or credit card company?

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its simple, really (okay, not THAT simple).

He's in violation of a court order. It's called "Contempt." And NO judge likes that. Not a single one.

Take him back to court and let the judge have at him. And do remember to bring popcorn. You simply can't have a good "beat'em up" movie without popcorn. Smiley Wink

Seriously, take him back to court and let the judge deal with him. He'll find that life is MUCH easier when it's spent outside of 4 cinderblock walls.

More than likely, if it's his first offense (and you don't mention his putting his wife up to identity fraud), he'll end up with a few fines, perhaps an evening spent on the county's dime (AKA a nice holding cell for the night), and a serious smack on the bottom.

Which, Darlin', sounds like what he needs. :/
Message 7 of 15
cw81
Frequent Contributor

Follow the Hipaa process first start out by opting out and deleting your old addresses to the best of your ability then send the pre hipaa letter to the CRA they will have to get all the information required from the OC when you receive the necessary information from the CRA then you send the second hipaa letter TO to the OC either with insert A with bank money orderr to pay it off if its unpaid or insert B if it is paid.

This link explains it more in detail

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=rebuildingcredit&thread.id=19972

Message Edited by cw81 on 08-05-2008 09:19 PM
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I would *think* a court order supercedes a simple phone call from some random female.  Regardless of what they're supposed to do, the CRAs don't always adhere to the FCRA and sometimes need to be "nudged" in that direction.

Happy, sidewinder and several others have a great deal of knowledge about medical collections, especially as some of them work in the medical field.

Well, yes and no. It's really up to the judge who gave the order to enforce. And trust me, the judge WILL enforce the order.

If she takes him back to court (filing a motion of contempt, I believe, but don't quote me), he will get his butt spanked, but GOOD.

Then HE WILL find it within the "goodness of his heart" to authorize the account to be put under his name.

You'd be surprised what most people will do once they realize exactly how much it sucks to spend the night behind bars. Really.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

and Wonderin' would DEFINITELY be one of the "several others" I was referring to!  What I should have said "one of the resident rock stars will be along shortly to give you some words of wisdom"  Smiley Very Happy
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.