cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do you know if they are collecting on behalf or bought the debt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how do you know if they are collecting on behalf or bought the debt?

Take the advice from others here- BUT medical collections are not normally a deal breaker on a mortgage-

I would get a new broker-
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
and Wonderin' would DEFINITELY be one of the "several others" I was referring to!  What I should have said "one of the resident rock stars will be along shortly to give you some words of wisdom"  Smiley Very Happy

Girl, you're being far too kind!! Knowing the process, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the HIPAA stuff, is a far cry from knowing the "whys," "hows," and "what-fers!"

I do know the court/legal stuff, though, when it comes to such things like Orders, Vacations, Releases, etc. Don't ask me how. Or "who!"

I can't stress ENOUGH how the OP should take that poophead back to court, though. If the Order's part of a "child support" order, too, THAT will make it all the more WICKED on his patootie.

She should also know that in many states, that little piece of paper is enough to *BLEEP* him over in terms of wage garnishments and account levies. If she takes that slip o'paper into her local Child Support Enforcement office (even if there's no "money" ordered), she can have him royally spanked THAT way, too!!

Another ugly TL on his report ... since CSEA DOES report to the 3. It comes up as a "Public Record" or "Judgment" and stays on for 7 years -- regardless of whether or not he pays it off.

(Of course, the judgment thing is only, AFAIK, for monetary support, not just healthcare)

I wouldn't even be trash-talking him this much if he didn't have his new wife call the hospital pretending to be the OP -- that's just .... sleazey. Smiley Mad
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Take the advice from others here- BUT medical collections are not normally a deal breaker on a mortgage-

I would get a new broker-

As Dallas always says ..."If the lender tells you to pay collections (especially medical collections), find another lender!"
Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ideally taking him to court would be dandy! BUT 1.)The medical bills are 5-6 years old now. 2.) the order was from the state when I applied for child support, not from a district judge of any kind. 3.) My husband has since adpoted my daughter and taken on financial responsibility.

I think I would have had to take him to court to get a judgement to pay the bills, but at the time I didn't even have a dime to hire an attorney, and I was to young to realize the consequences of ignoring the bill/problems.

The bills are from the doctors office, not the actual hospital. It says dr. joe blow, MD and one says like medical associates or something like that. So has the CA bought the debt? Or are they collecting for the offices? Should i make an offer or ride it out?
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did ask my child support enoforement officer about the bills and she said I'd have to take him to court to get a judgement before I could garnish wages. THey only set the order, it was up to a judge and an attorney to represent me to enforce it.

CSED set up the terms and said we both had to carry health insurance on her if offered through employment, but I was a student at the time and didn't have any offered. They said since he was working and I was going to school, he was responsible for 100% of her bills, which he never disputed. I set him up as the responsible party when she was born and he willingly set the account up with me, but he had my ss# and had his wife call and say she was me and change the account information years down the road. I can't prove it, I just know its true.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.