Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how old do they have to be....

tag
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

how old do they have to be....

in regards to late payments on CR, how old do they have to be to not be considered recent?  

i have 4 accounts that were late prior to my filing bk13 in 2017.  bk is discharged dec 2020,  and ive started a whats become very difficult rebuild.  seems any prequal points to those 30, 60, 90 day late payments from the summer of 2017.   its starting on the 5th year since i first filed and those things are still haunting me.   

how long before the effect doesnt ding my scores so much?  just one of those things that ill just have to wait until they fall off in 2024? 

i have chase, boa, citi, & amex all showing 2-3 months late.  all in 2017.  

i practice AZEO & ive managed to secure a few cards including cap1 venture one, walmart, kohls & 2 rebuilder cards -  credit one amex & aspire.   no matter what i do, my scores wont budge.  seems they keep going down if anything. especailly when i disputed incorrect info on some iib accounts.  seems the "updated" thing knocked me over 50 points.  

i dont know what else to do but wait.  would it help if i increased my credit usage?   CR says i have 0% utilization but i let a small balance report each month on my venture one card.  always between 50 -100$.   it has a $4k limit. 

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: how old do they have to be....

I think you're doing everything you can, and you're doing it right. Time is all that can really help your file. As long as you don't report 0% utilization, because that actually penalizes you. 

Also, as far as what's considered "recent," well that varies by lender, but yea, unfortunately, it appears you may just have to wait until those lates age off in '24.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 4
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

This is from an ole poster on lates. It only goes for 4 yrs. But it gives an idea on how it affects scores. YMMV though.

fico8 lates versus time.png

Message 3 of 4
HowDoesThisAllWork
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

This is from an ole poster on lates. It only goes for 4 yrs. But it gives an idea on how it affects scores. YMMV though.

fico8 lates versus time.png

^^^^^^^^

This.  I was going to post the exact same graph.

FICO 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Auto 9 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Bankcard 8 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2022 JULY 04:

Starting Score: Exp 627
Current Score: Exp 713
Goal Score: Exp 750+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.