cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to file dispute with credit bureau after claim is disputed with creditor with no response 30day+

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

how to file dispute with credit bureau after claim is disputed with creditor with no response 30day+

my husband and I had an apartment put on our credit from 2016; we had to break the lease due them unable to provide a safe living environment. (they broke it and we paid no fees) I called a month later and was told we owed nothing but the deposit was non refundable.  now they are charging us almost 2000 for "damages" and put that we moved out due to illness but fullfilled our full lease. I wrote the creditor and apartment manager a letter of dispute within 30 days of it hitting our credit but they never mailed us anything before it was on our credit (or after). i did mail them all with signature and certified. Which its now been 30 days and they have not responded at all. This charge is still on our credit reports and now going to write up a letter of dispute to send to all 3 credit bureau. Do I include a copy of the letter we sent to the creditor, and the signature reciept? what all do i need to write to them to have this removed? what is the next step i need to take since i am not recieving anything from the creditor or orginal apartments? we are looking to move in the next 6 months and do not want this to be on our reports and effect us getting another place. 

orginal creditor is in AL, and we now live in OH if that makes a difference.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: how to file dispute with credit bureau after claim is disputed with creditor with no response 30

Was the letter that you previously sent to the creditor clearly identified as a formal "direct dispute" under FCRA 623(a)(8), or was it only a general disagreement of the asserted debt, and not specifically a dispute under the FCRA?

If a direct dispute, then they are required under the FCRA to complete their investigation within 30 days of filing of the direct dispute, and send their notice of results of their investigation within 5 business days after concluding their investigation.

If clearly a direct dispute and they have not complied, they are in violation of FCRA 623(a)(8), for which you can file a complaint with the CFPB or file a civil action.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: how to file dispute with credit bureau after claim is disputed with creditor with no response 30

it was a direct dispute but I sent it before disputing with the credit bureau which upon looking more into i should have done first.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.