Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i'm not sure if this is the right section..please reply

tag
USC08
Frequent Contributor

i'm not sure if this is the right section..please reply

My friend had a credit card that had a balance of around $12000 or so that went to collections. She was completely blind sided by the fact that this debt was in collections. This happened while she was married, now divorced, but her problem is that they are not showing that it has been paid on her CR. It was paid on 8/15/07 and she has been trying to call numerous times but gets answering machine and no call back. So i'm wondering if this is illegal or what? what can i do to resolve this? i think they have a corporate #. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: i'm not sure if this is the right section..please reply

Dispute balance/status on CR and send DV to the company reporting that it isn't paid if it's a CA. If it's the OC, then dispute and wait for it to finish. If it comes back verified, then send the OC letter. The DV and OC letters can be found around this site. And you were right to ask, the post should probably belong to the Rebuilding forum.
Message 2 of 5
USC08
Frequent Contributor

She does have the confirmation of it being paid and confirmation that they have received the check in the mail.
myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If they last reported in 2007...it is aging & as baddies age they lose their impack on scores. By disputing it will bring it up to date.

Keep in mind that FICO doesn't care if it is paid or unpaid!!! 

If a creditor does a manual pull then they will paid or unpaid make a difference.

Who is reporting the OC or a CA?
Message 4 of 5
athensguy
Valued Contributor

It also depends on what has a balance. A CO with a balance is included in Util, so you'd want it to say paid. Also things like FHA that don't take scores into account as much (MIP on FHA now takes into account score for pricing) would rather you have paid vs. unpaid.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.