Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

...if you were 18

tag
kmids
New Contributor

...if you were 18

So I take care of my little cousin. She will be 18 soon and I want to teach her about why credit and savings and overall financial responsability are important. Obviously she has zero credit and she can't piggy back because in the most responsible person in my family and I'm only just starting to fix my credit.

So, if you were 18 again like my cousin, what would you do to set up your financial future?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: ...if you were 18

@kmids wrote:
So I take care of my little cousin. She will be 18 soon and I want to teach her about why credit and savings and overall financial responsability are important. Obviously she has zero credit and she can't piggy back because in the most responsible person in my family and I'm only just starting to fix my credit.

So, if you were 18 again like my cousin, what would you do to set up your financial future?

Start by introducing them to this forum the mistakes we have made and learned from may enlighten your cousin to do better from the start.

Then if they don't already have a checking account setup one with a debit card so they can learn only spend what she can afford.

I'm sure others will soon chime in with other good ideas.

Best wishes

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 4
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

Start with a Secured Credit Card at a credit union and avoid applying for First Premeir, Credit One or any high interest rate CCC's for that matter. My first credit card was a secured credit card and it later became unsecured and I receive my deposit back. The possibilities are endless honestly...

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
diva_1515
Valued Member

I would make sure to pay my bills on time each and every month, set up a savings account and never touch it! I would have a budget and stick to it. I would be more frugal, not eating out as much, spending on stuff I didn't need, and not worry about keeping up with the Jones'. I would open a CC with a credit union and use it for emergencies only.

I have a younger sister and I tried to educate her from my mistakes. She fell in "love" with some guy and cosigned for a bunch of crap neither one of them could afford. Now she is in debt and her credit ruined and she's only 21 SMH.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.