Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lates; how long will it impact??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

lates; how long will it impact??

So I have 3 late payments on 3 students loans with Sallie Mae which of course you know is now Navient and I have two paid and satisfied tax liens. I am aware that over time they have less of an impact on your scores. Right now what's hurting my score is my utilization which I am going to bring down in the next month, but I wanted to know how long does it take for these negative to become less of an impact on my scores??
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Re: lates; how long will it impact??

@karladicent wrote:
So I have 3 late payments on 3 students loans with Sallie Mae which of course you know is now Navient and I have two paid and satisfied tax liens. I am aware that over time they have less of an impact on your scores. Right now what's hurting my score is my utilization which I am going to bring down in the next month, but I wanted to know how long does it take for these negative to become less of an impact on my scores??

how many days late? 30,60,90, 120, 150, 180?  You could write Navient and ask for a good will removal.  The paid tax liens are they state or federal? If paid and federal you can fill out a form and send to IRS, the lien can be removed,  if state lien then they are removed 7 years from actual paid date or at 10 years whichever comes first. This is according to Experian. 

30 day lates hurt your score for about 2 years, anything longer than that can hurt your score for the full 7 years, 

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are 60 day lates...tried the GW about 5 times already they have been denied each time...tax liens are state and I am aware that they will be on my report for 7 years but reading on this forums I also know that over time they are less of an impact I just don't know when that begins...is it after a year or two or what
Message 3 of 9
traveler2005
Established Contributor

@karladicent wrote:
They are 60 day lates...tried the GW about 5 times already they have been denied each time...tax liens are state and I am aware that they will be on my report for 7 years but reading on this forums I also know that over time they are less of an impact I just don't know when that begins...is it after a year or two or what

60 day lates will hurt score for the 7 years, but the hurt will dimish as the time goes on. As far as state tax lien it will be on your report 7 years after you have paid it off. I have found that when it reaches about 5-6.5 years old then most major credit card companies, such as american express, chase, discover will issue you a credit card with a lower starting limit. Discover would not give me a card until my state lien was almost 6.5 years old. But YMMV, I have seen some that have been approved at 2-3 years after the lien was filed and paid. 

Keep up with the GW letters to the student loan servicer. Don't back down, eventually you will find someone that will help you out!!

Best wishes!!

Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you I appreciate it...I will continue with the GW to Navient. I normally send emails but maybe I should start sending snail mail lol not sure if that will do the trick. All I want is a venture card and the AMEX everyday card Smiley Sad 

I wonder if the snail mail will make a difference 

Message 5 of 9
traveler2005
Established Contributor

@karladicent wrote:

Thank you I appreciate it...I will continue with the GW to Navient. I normally send emails but maybe I should start sending snail mail lol not sure if that will do the trick. All I want is a venture card and the AMEX everyday card Smiley Sad 

I wonder if the snail mail will make a difference 

Send you request in a nice card, maybe try to explain why you were late, 

Also were these lates when your account was in deferment or forebearance????  Make sure you check that out too!

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

these lates appeared when they were in deferment, I was not in school but they were definitely in deferment...Does that make a difference?

Message 7 of 9
traveler2005
Established Contributor

@karladicent wrote:

these lates appeared when they were in deferment, I was not in school but they were definitely in deferment...Does that make a difference?

When your loans are in deferment, then there is no payment due, hence if these lates were placed when your loans were in deferment, then there has been an error, they can't report a 60 day late when you were not in repayment. I would dispute the lates with the student loan servicer, as never late, loans in deferment, if you don't get a response from them, then dispute with the credit reporting agency on all three reports, as loans in deferment at time of lates.

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@traveler2005 wrote:

@karladicent wrote:

When your loans are in deferment, then there is no payment due, hence if these lates were placed when your loans were in deferment, then there has been an error, they can't report a 60 day late when you were not in repayment. I would dispute the lates with the student loan servicer, as never late, loans in deferment, if you don't get a response from them, then dispute with the credit reporting agency on all three reports, as loans in deferment at time of lates.

Thank you so much, I will definitely do that ASAP...This is great info 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.