Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

medical collection question

tag
let
Regular Contributor

medical collection question

I have a collection of $53.00 on my c/h from UT Health and science center.  I called down there yesterday to get an address to send the 1st HIPPA letter. I asked about the $53.00 I owed and the clerk researched and found no such debt with them. She told me that I had one for $42.00 (that I am going to pay this week) that was sent of too a CA,  she said I had to pay the CA and not them. Can I still use the HIPPA letter and so on? and what about the $53.00 that is on my C/H but they can not find it anywhere on there system, she checked the old and new system. ( the date for the $53.00 is 08/2005)  do i pay it to the CA?
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: medical collection question

Yes, you can use the HIPAA letter process for both. Please read the medical collections thread in my sig line.

Begin with the PRE-HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER and send them to the CRAs that are reporting the collections certified mail. Be sure to follow the stationary and font guidelines. If you have questions or updates please post again in this thread. GL!

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you can use the HIPAA letter process for both. Please read the medical collections thread in my sig line.

Begin with the PRE-HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER and send them to the CRAs that are reporting the collections certified mail. Be sure to follow the stationary and font guidelines. If you have questions or updates please post again in this thread. GL!

Message 2 of 10
let
Regular Contributor

thanks for your help..
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I saw your posting on HIPAA letter disputing and have a couple of questions.

1) If my medical collections are paid do I still send the Pre-HIPAA Medical Dispute Letter?

2) If not, What do I send?

3) Am I still required to OPT-OUT all Creditors?

4) If I do have to OPT out all creditors, how long after sending in the letters to creditors can I send my dispute letter?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to your reply!

Yours Truly,  New to this site-First time posting.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

cassavy wrote:

I saw your posting on HIPAA letter disputing and have a couple of questions.

1) If my medical collections are paid do I still send the Pre-HIPAA Medical Dispute Letter?

2) If not, What do I send?

3) Am I still required to OPT-OUT all Creditors?

4) If I do have to OPT out all creditors, how long after sending in the letters to creditors can I send my dispute letter?

Thanks and I'm looking forward to your reply!

Yours Truly,  New to this site-First time posting.

1)   YES

3)    It is for your benifit to OP_OUT   this way another CA will not pick it up

4)   The HIPAA process must be started at the beginning!!  And it must be in the correct order!

Op-out   and then send the dispute letter to all CRAs reporting.   wait until the CRAs notify you that the dispute is conpleted.  You do not need to wait after sending the op-out letters.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-13-2009 05:26 PM
Message Edited by HappyDays on 01-13-2009 05:27 PM
Message 5 of 10
let
Regular Contributor

ok, I talked to a collection agency and asked about a pay for delete, it's a medical bill.  They said that they would not or could not do it because it was 2-3 years old (can't really remember), I then inquired about the HIPPA process, prettymuch just asking " well if it's a medical bill that I pay off doesn't the HIPPA rules apply?" Isn't medical information on not supposed to be on my CR?  They told me no, they would not do a PFD or remove it because it was medical, that the HIPPA process was not any good. She then told me again, because I had ample time to pay it and that I didn't... Anyway around this?  TIA..
Message 6 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

First off, never talk with a CA over the phone. The vast majority of CAa, doctors and hospitals are HIPAA dumb. Forget about what the CA said to you about HIPAA, their just full of it. Start the HIPAA process like HappyDays suggested.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello thanks for reading my message. my score went down from 717 to 645 after 2 med. collections I called the CA and asked for a letter of deletion. They said that this practice was considered credit washing and they don't do that. I hung up and then i read your post regarding HIPPA process. I have a few questions

1. Do i pay the Original Medical agency before I send the letter to the CRA's?

or do I wait until I hear from the CRA's?

Message 8 of 10
someone379
Regular Contributor

Sorry to dig up an old thread... Trying to find the answer and didnt.  My situation is that I attempted to contact the medical office that I owed the money to, they say that they SOLD the debt to the CA that is now listed on my CR which means that I CAN NOT pay them, and can only pay the CA... My understanding is that if I pay the CA I'm screwed.  The CA refuses PFD.    Ideas?

Starting Score: EQ 503 TU 478" "Current Scores: EQ >750 TU >750 EX >750
IHG (19k) | Discover IT (18k) | BCE (14.5k) | SPG (14k) | CashForward (7.5) | Citi DC (6k) | TE (5.5k) | Marriott (5k) | Citi Best Buy (5k) | Amz VISA (3k) | BofA Cash Rewards (4.5k) | FNBO 6.25% AMEX (2.3k) | Amz Store (CLOSED) | QS1 ($1.6k)
Message 9 of 10
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

The HIPAA process is based on a bill that has been proposed, but not passed.  As such, CA's are under no legal obligation to comply...for now.  In fact, here is an update on this very subject: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Medical-Debt-Responsibility-Act-fingers-cross....  

Since the OC has told you the acct has been sold to the CA, you have no choice but to work with them.  Whether you pay or not is completely up to you and dependent on your situation.  Paying a collection will not change your score (at least that is the experience of those on this forum); however, it could make you look a little better in the eyes of a LO doing a manual review of your credit file.  If you do not pay it, you face collectors hounding you indefinitely and a potential lawsuit if it is still within the SOL.  If you do pay (without the acceptance of a PFD), you can then send GW letters to the CA and see if you can get it removed that way.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.