Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newly married - husbands credit a mess - Shocked wife trying to help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

newly married - husbands credit a mess - Shocked wife trying to help

I hope I'm not the only one that found this out after I got married...but my husband had a roommate who "paid the household bills" and there are allot of small balances on his credit report, over 6 years old from original creditor, but more recent from CRA, on amounts he doesn't owe.

Some of these have the original creditor showing amounts owed AND then the CA stating they are reporting the same amount owed.

They are:

1. cable bill for over $2k

2. phone bill for $500 and change

questions from me 1. Whats the best way to dispute these? on-line or letter writing.

Who do I dispute it with ..the CA or the original creditor or both?

Thank you.....signed NEW WIFE SHOCKED!!

Message Edited by 2007credit on 06-02-2008 07:18 PM

Message Edited by 2007credit on 06-02-2008 07:19 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: newly married - husbands credit a mess - Shocked wife trying to help

2007credit wrote:
I hope I'm not the only one that found this out after I got married...but my husband had a roommate who "paid the household bills" and there are allot of small balances on his credit report, over 6 years old from original creditor, but more recent from CRA, on amounts he doesn't owe.
The original creditor and the CA can both report. But the CA must report the same DOFD as the OC.

Some of these have the original creditor showing amounts owed AND then the CA stating they are reporting the same amount owed.

They are:

1. cable bill for over $2k

2. phone bill for $500 and change

questions from me 1. Whats the best way to dispute these? on-line or letter writing.

Who do I dispute it with ..the CA or the original creditor or both?

Are they accurate? Are they reporting accurate? If so, you don't dispute.

Thank you.....signed NEW WIFE SHOCKED!!

Message Edited by 2007credit on 06-02-2008 07:18 PM

Message Edited by 2007credit on 06-02-2008 07:19 PM

The first thing you need to do is pull all 3 reports(if you haven't already) and find DOLA, DOFD, and SOL.

You can find SOL here-

If the report doesn't show DOFD, look for something like "this account scheduled to remain until XXXX"

Depending on the above information as to what your next step would be.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks moderator..I was getting worried no one was going to answer my post!!

I did try to pull all three from Annualcreditreport.com..Transunion said it could not..so I will request that by mail

I dont know what your terms mean, but I will look them up...and then post the answers..thanks again!!!!!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

no to answer your question..the amounts are not accurate...does not owe these amounts...

Thanks again
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

SOL- Statute of Limitations-- the time a creditor has to bring suit against you. They can file after this expires, but if you appear and use "past SOL' as your defense, you win.

DOFD- Date of first delinquency-- the date you went delinquent and never brung the account current before charge off/collection.

DOLA- Date of last activity on the account...such as charge on the card, made payment, etc.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks SW

I have two of the three CRs and those dates...NOW WHAT?????sorry for the broad question.....

what should I do next?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to click on that link above and find your SOL.

What is the DOFD, DOLA? If you can post that, I can give you some more advice.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.