Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old debt and payment

tag
DaisyDoo
Established Member

old debt and payment

I received a settlement offer from AMEX for an old debt. I'm thinking of paying it in full to see if I can get back in AMEX good grace, but I don't want it to go back on my credit report if I make a payment. In the offer, they state, "Because of the age of your debt, American Express cannot report it to a consumer reporting agency. Payment or non-payment of this debt will not affect your credit score." Is this true? That has been my reluctance to paying it now.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Re: old debt and payment

Yes. As long as the debt is past the CRTP( Reporting Time Period) of 7 years + 180 days. But, with most accounts, it’s usually just 7 years from exclusion. So, they cannot report the “old debt” that is past the CRTP.

As far as AMEX goes? I am unsure. I’m working towards a card eventually from them😉

You could hit the Credit Cards Forum and search for that answer OR start a thread there to get more exposure on the specifics.

Welcome to MyFICO Forums, BTW!👍

😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.