Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old tuition debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

old tuition debt

I have an unpaid tuition that has gone to collections (state college).  I am wanting to pay this and registar for school.  I contacted the university to see if I could pay them but they said I would have to pay the collection agency.  The CA added 25% to the balance.  If I send a pay for delete letter, could I negotiate a lower price and still clear my debt w/ the school, or would I have to pay the tuition plus 25%? 

Also, I sent a pay for delete to a CA and they tried contacting me via phone (I didnt answer).  Could I talk to them over the phone or would this start my SOL all over again (the debt is 4 years old)?  If I talk to them over the phone, do I have to watch what I say?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
nicholasc77
Valued Member

Re: old tuition debt

You could most definetly settle this account for legally less than the balance in a settlement with is a one time payment. you would have to pay it though the collection because the university now has know say because it went legal. Also I think that a delete letter would be a no go because the account would be recently settled. Good Luck 

Message 2 of 5
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

is the collection agency currently reporting the debt on your credit report?

Starting Score: 6/27/2012: TU-543 EQ-501 EX-535(Quizzle)
Current Score: 12/18/12: TU-571 EQ-547 EX-555(PSECU)
Goal Score: 630 by March

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes

Message 4 of 5
pghfangirl04
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an unpaid tuition that has gone to collections (state college).  I am wanting to pay this and registar for school.  I contacted the university to see if I could pay them but they said I would have to pay the collection agency.  The CA added 25% to the balance.  If I send a pay for delete letter, could I negotiate a lower price and still clear my debt w/ the school, or would I have to pay the tuition plus 25%? 

Also, I sent a pay for delete to a CA and they tried contacting me via phone (I didnt answer).  Could I talk to them over the phone or would this start my SOL all over again (the debt is 4 years old)?  If I talk to them over the phone, do I have to watch what I say?

Talking to the CA on the phone would not start the SOL all over again. I would call them and ask them about your letter. . . what does it hurt?  You could discuss with them the PFD and/or settling for a different amount but I would make sure that you get whatever your agreement is with them in writing prior to making any kind of payment arrangements with them. 

Starting Score: 6/27/2012: TU-543 EQ-501 EX-535(Quizzle)
Current Score: 12/18/12: TU-571 EQ-547 EX-555(PSECU)
Goal Score: 630 by March

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.