Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

please help! need advice.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

please help! need advice.

hello!

so i am a 21 y/o, who had very little care for her credit score at 18. ( i know, very stupid) and now im going crazy idk where to start. my current score is 483. very very very bad. i have two accounts in collections, one for  a gym 94$ and another for a phone company 441$. what originally made my score drop was the one and only credit card ive evrr had which was a citi bank student cc for $1000. i was going good and when i got fired it all went downhill. i wasnt earning much at all with work study at school either. point is it got sent to collections, but now it doesnt appear on my credit report, not sure why. i never paid it off. i also have 6 hard inquiries, none are too recent though. now, my question is what is the first step to atleast try to rebuild my credit? i always see secured credit cards, but i doubt with my score ill get approved anywhere, i cant even open a debit card. what can i do? please any help will be appreciated 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: please help! need advice.

@Anonymous wrote:

hello!

so i am a 21 y/o, who had very little care for her credit score at 18. ( i know, very stupid) and now im going crazy idk where to start. my current score is 483. very very very bad. i have two accounts in collections, one for  a gym 94$ and another for a phone company 441$. what originally made my score drop was the one and only credit card ive evrr had which was a citi bank student cc for $1000. i was going good and when i got fired it all went downhill. i wasnt earning much at all with work study at school either. point is it got sent to collections, but now it doesnt appear on my credit report, not sure why. i never paid it off. i also have 6 hard inquiries, none are too recent though. now, my question is what is the first step to atleast try to rebuild my credit? i always see secured credit cards, but i doubt with my score ill get approved anywhere, i cant even open a debit card. what can i do? please any help will be appreciated 

Start off wih a secured card. Try Capital One first, if thats a no-go, then app for an Open Sky secured card. Avoid Credit One and First Premier. Once you get that first account your scores will move up quite bit, and you can app for a second secured card from a different issuer. As your scores move up, try apping for a Cap One unsecured card. You want to have three revolving accounts if possible.

Do you have any student loans or other installment type credit accounts?

Try to get the collections paid off or settled - negotiate PFD's if possible.

Message 2 of 7
stellar
Established Contributor

If you can't get a debit card, does that meanyou had a bank acct go bad?  Get your report from chexsystems and make sure it's accurate.

Get your 3 credit reports from annualcreditreport.com  that is the official site.  Free once a year, no scores.

or go to creditchecktotal.com and get al 3 with scores for $1 just be sure to cancel within 7 days.  Those are real FICO scores.

Then post the issues on your report.  If you have a bad cc on there, you can try to pay for delete.

You certainly can get secured cards, we can tell you which will accept you most likely when you share your info.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stellar wrote:

If you can't get a debit card, does that meanyou had a bank acct go bad?  Get your report from chexsystems and make sure it's accurate.

Get your 3 credit reports from annualcreditreport.com  that is the official site.  Free once a year, no scores.

or go to creditchecktotal.com and get al 3 with scores for $1 just be sure to cancel within 7 days.  Those are real FICO scores.

Then post the issues on your report.  If you have a bad cc on there, you can try to pay for delete.

You certainly can get secured cards, we can tell you which will accept you most likely when you share your info.

Oh, wow, I missed that part completely.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

hello!

Start off wih a secured card. Try Capital One first, if thats a no-go, then app for an Open Sky secured card. Avoid Credit One and First Premier. Once you get that first account your scores will move up quite bit, and you can app for a second secured card from a different issuer. As your scores move up, try apping for a Cap One unsecured card. You want to have three revolving accounts if possible.

no i dont have any student loans or anything else and whats a pfd? sorrySmiley Sad newbie here. thank you for replying

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

hello!

no i dont have any student loans or anything else and whats a pfd? sorrySmiley Sad newbie here. thank you for replying

OK, then you might benefit from a secured personal loan as well. If you can join SDFCU (joining American Consumer Council will qulify you for membership) you can do a share secured loan, AND a shared secured credit card with the same deposit.

PFD is a Pay for Deletion. Some collectors will do them and some won't, you often have to ask multiple times and move up the food chain before you get a yes.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

stellar wrote:

ok im going to check on that website right now and post what is says! im going to go on check total as well. update soon. thanks!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.