cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Settled in full" same as "Settled - less than full balance"?

tag
BrandonSS
Frequent Contributor

"Settled in full" same as "Settled - less than full balance"?

I settled with a collection agency earlier this year and on the contract they sent me for payment, it said they are accepting payment as "Settled in full".  Yes the Remarks on the accounts say "Settled - less than full balance".

Is this correct or are they reporting it incorrectly?  I understand I did settle for less than full balance, but that is now the wording they agreed to.

3/2010 - EX 555 (FAKO) EQ 542 TU 548
GOAL: 680+
Goal exceeded! - EQ - 712 TU - 701
2/2015 - 750+ across the board!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: "Settled in full" same as "Settled - less than full balance"?

@BrandonSS wrote:

I settled with a collection agency earlier this year and on the contract they sent me for payment, it said they are accepting payment as "Settled in full".  Yes the Remarks on the accounts say "Settled - less than full balance".

Is this correct or are they reporting it incorrectly?  I understand I did settle for less than full balance, but that is now the wording they agreed to.

I think it's ok.  It appears that the creditor was just sloppy in their choice of words i the settlement agreement.  I think what they mean by "settled in full" is that although they accepted less, they consider the matter completely paid and the issue is closed.

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: "Settled in full" same as "Settled - less than full balance"?

Per FICO, there's no difference. But if you can, get them to remove the word "settled".

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.