Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

recieved a copy of an abstract of judgment

tag
LMD
Established Member

recieved a copy of an abstract of judgment

I was served papers for a judgement am was waiting on the hearing date which I didn't receive.

I then recieved am abstract of judgement while I was out of town. Any idea what I can do now to keep this from hitting my credit?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: recieved a copy of an abstract of judgment

Get the judgment vacated via settlement with creditor. Have creditor dismiss the judgment or have a judge take it off. Ask the creditor to write a letter stating they agree to have the judgment removed. Of course you would have to pay the creditor first for any of this to happen or prove the judgment was served in error.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: recieved a copy of an abstract of judgment

Your first step is to determine how the case was tried without your having been served notice of the trial date.

I would visit the office of the clerk of the court and review the case record with an eye on a showing of how notice was served on you.

Did you move or somehow make yourself unavailable to process servers?  Was notice served in some fashion other than direct placement in your hands?

If not properly served, you can motion for vacature of the judgment as being legally flawed.

Consultation with an attorney would be advisable......

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.