Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove charge-off or keep for AAOA?

tag
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

remove charge-off or keep for AAOA?

Hello everyone,

I have 2 credit cards that are closed and showing as Charge-Off, both paid. They are also my 2 longest opened accounts at 10.5 and 11.5 years which helps my AAOA. 

I'm pretty sure I could dispute both of these and get them removed because I think they were actually closed longer than 7 years ago. So, what do you think would affect my scores more, having the better AAOA or a lower AAOA but not showing the 2 charge-offs?

Thanks for any tips!

Current Score: EQ 708 | TU ??? | EX 714
Score highs: EQ 715 | TU 704 | EX 718 (02/2020)
Starting Score: EQ 616 | TU 614 | EX 585 (02/18/2018)
Goal Score: 740
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Re: remove charge-off or keep for AAOA?

Wow! That is a catch 22 Question!

Do you have any positive TL’s going for you now? If so, how old are they?

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 2 of 12
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

Try to get rid of the CO accounts. 

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 3 of 12
cyrusvalentino
Frequent Contributor

Given that payment history accounts for 35% of your score and AAoA only accounts for 15% I would say remove the chargeoffs if they are your only negatives, but when I say negatives I’m not just meaning accounts that were chargeoffs. Do you have any other 30, 60, or 90 day late payments on other accounts? What is the age of your next 3 oldest accounts?

Starting Score (12/01/2021):

Current Score (03/01/2022):

Goal Score (01/01/2023):

Other Stats:

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

What revolving accounts do you have open presently? And how long?
Regardless, it's a charge-off and charge-offs never look good. Does it still report monthly by the way?
Message 5 of 12
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

If those charge offs are still hurting your score, they probably are and its more than likely a large amount of points, you are still in a negative scorecard. Once you remove them as your accounts age and your good payment history builds, your score will build up much faster and won't hit the wall it will hit with those charge offs still reporting. You may even get a boost when you remove them. 

Message 6 of 12
FirstAscent
Regular Contributor

as for open accounts, I have a WF credit card I've had for 2 years with a perfect track record and a closed credit card that was in good standing. I have 4 student loans that show up that all late payments on them, unfortunately since they are combined payment when you miss one payment it hits all 4 accounts since Nelnet reports them all separately. 

I have a closed auto loan with some late payments on it too but also a couple auto loans that were good.

Basically all i have "Open/Active" right now is my one WF credit card and my student loans. 

Also, these two charge-offs don't report any payment activity, good or bad. it just says charge-off. They are not currently reporting monthly and haven't since 2/2016 which is when I paid them.

Givent that I have multiple other accounts with late payments etc I wouldn't expect a large increase in points, but anything is better than nothing.

My next 3 oldest accounts, I have a couple auto loans opened in 2008 and 2009 but they were only open for 6 months and a year, then I have an open auto loan from 2009 that I paid off a few years ago. Then there are a handful of accounts opened in 2011.

Current Score: EQ 708 | TU ??? | EX 714
Score highs: EQ 715 | TU 704 | EX 718 (02/2020)
Starting Score: EQ 616 | TU 614 | EX 585 (02/18/2018)
Goal Score: 740
Message 7 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If an account has prior derogs, either in the form of monthly delinquencies or a charge-off, and the account is now paid, then the current status is no longer one of delinquency.

CRA policy is to exclude an entire account once the derogs become eligible for exclusion IF the current status remains one of delinquency.

However, if the current status is no longer one of a delinquency (such as paid or settled), then the CRA will exclude only the derogs, and not the entire account.

The post states that the debt is paid, and thus the account is no longer one of a current delinquency status.

Thus, CRA policy should not result in exclusion of the entire account, which will remain without derogs until the CRA eventually delete based on their housecleaning removal of old accounts at approx 10 years from date of closure.

Message 8 of 12
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

Awesome info, so a paid charge off has to have lates on the account for it to report negative? That means, for me, my old 90 day late from 2013 is killing my scores and not a paid charge off from 2015/16?

Message 9 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

No, a paid charge off does not have to have lates on the account for it to report negative. 

Reporting of a charge-off IS the reporting of a late, in that the account was delinquent at that point in time, and additionally that it was also subjected to the accounting measure of charging the delinquent debt to profit and loss.

If an account that was subjected to a charge-off also had other reported monthly delinquencies that are in the same chain, they will all also become excluded once 7 years has expired from the date of initial delinquency.  With the monthly delinquencies all becoming excluded at 7 years from the DOFD, and the charge-off also becoming excluded on that same date, or no later than an additonaly 180 days thereafter, you will not have monthly delinquencies in the chain remaining after the charge-off.  They are all statements of PRIOR account delinquencies.

A charge-off is the most serious of major account derogs, and is having the most significant scoring impact.  Whether or not a prior 90-late was reported is essentially moot, as it is inherent that a charge-off was almost invariably 90-late at a prior time, irrespective of whether the creditor chose to report each monthly delinquency.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.