scammers

scammer question

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Am I being sued or almost scammed?

I still get calls from zombie collectors after BK. Funny how my area code shows up so you'll pick it up. They sneak around the Spam blocker on my phone. Or a voice message is left but no phone call. Blocked.

Message 2 of 10
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

SCAM.  DO NOT pay this.  The claim that they are exempt from SOL due to "enhanced contractual techniques" is enough for me.  The second biggest red flag is that there are no lawsuits on file in your local courts.  Third:  process servers don't call you and tell you they are coming.  Who would be home?  I would toy with them but I enjoy the sport.  You can ignore it or tell them you know it is a scam and refuse to pay.  They will find another sucker and move on.

Message 3 of 10
Gidgetmom
Frequent Contributor

Same thing happened to me several months ago.  Like you, I gave no info, researched it and came up with nothing.  Nothing has come of it yet (that I know about).  I thought it was a scam.

Message 4 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Not to mention no legitimate law firm tells you they are coming to serve you 😂😂.

We gets calls from someone claiming there was a case file against you please call immediately for more information lol. 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 10
Envisioner
Valued Member

post 2

Message 6 of 10
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

The scam this is probably a zombie debt , they call people hoping they can scare them about a lawsuit, case filed against etc . Hoping you will try to avoid this lawsuit and settle with them .

I had one tell me they were going to come to my place of employment and rattled off the payroll address of my company (which is easily found online) I said go ahead I will be waiting. I live 5 hours from said address 😂

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 7 of 10
Cowboys4Life
Frequent Contributor

@Envisioner wrote:

Yeah I feel kind of dumb getting a little flustered by this one.. normally I also bully lowly scam collectors myself but this is the first time time I've ever been caught off balance with the threat of a lawsuit.. these people were definitely far more compelling than those that came before them though I suppose I've never dealt with a woman debt collector before and that also might have thrown me a bit

It's funny because for the first time I watched some guy called Scammer Payback on youtube literally last night to pass the time and I think that may have affected my judgement / confidence today just because I find these people so creepy..

My only question is what was their endgame.. the last lady I spoke with didn't actually suggest any transaction, she just indicated that a lawsuit was being filed which I should be on the lookout for.. so if they weren't trying to get money from me, what was the scam?

Regardless I despise these people

Thanks guys 

The scam IS to get money.  You were supposed to be so scared of a lawsuit, judgment, and the humiliation of them serving you in front of family or at work that your response was "is there anything I can do to resolve this without going to court?"  That is when they would tell you that you can pay $400-1000 today by a form of payment that cannot be traced.  They want gift cards (HUGE red flag) CashApp, or Western Union so they can collect the money anywhere but if you get suspicious and report it to the cops they cannot be traced.

Message 8 of 10
Envisioner
Valued Member

post 3

post 3

Message 9 of 10
7774x
Frequent Contributor

@Envisioner wrote:

In June and July of 2016 I had two CO's with Bank of Missouri.. one of which was never paid, the other was to a CA which got shut down for fraud whom I got back my money from and never looked back since I assumed they breached whatever agreement we might have had.. the SOL in my home state is six years for cc debt.

About an hour ago I received a call from a relatively local number and some guy told me he was a third party processor calling to ask if I can be present to provide a signature so to receive confidential legal documents or summons.. he gave me a file number, a phone number and a business. The "processors" phone number brought up no results of any kind on Google.

I called the second number and spoke to someone who then used by phone number to "look up my case" and then transferred me to some lady proclaiming who told me that documents were sent out to all three of my current or most prior addresses.. None of them have ever received any type of correspondence whatsoever nor has anyone ever showed up in person. I did in fact give away that the addresses and my name were correct.

The name of their agency which is supposedly based in my home state is nowhere to be found on Google, is simply an acronym that the rep i spoke with refused to divulge without me providing a "case number".. their phone number brings up no results whatsoever and they are telling me that an account (last 4 of number I believe were legit) which legitimately was charged off nearly 7 years ago for $384 is being pursued in the form of a $3000+ lawsuit with attorney fees and interest because apparently with the Bank of Missouri SOL's don't matter because of their enhanced contractual techniques even though they sold the debt over six years ago.

I looked for cases in my state's superior court online and found nothing other than a relative's divorce proceedings.

I don't think I sufficiently claimed responsibility for the debt in the conversations so if it was a ploy to get me to restart the 7 seven years I believe it failed.

I called back again with a slightly more knowing tone and pressed for information and only got speculation as to the original balanances from the person who supposedly was looking at my file.. she also suggested it was an "Indigo" card even though they were Total Visa and First Access cards.. 

At this point I am assuming it was the most polished and sophisticated scam I've ever been confronted with.. however short of a call to the county court I was told was in possession of the case tomorrow I figured I'd come on here in the hope you guys might be as emphatic as my friends in their belief it was 100% illegitimate. 

Thanks

Maybe both..never give out any info to strangers..likely a CA looking to verify info ..either restart  a SOL , or sell your info as current & verfied..to reap $$$...any event of little benefit to you..these CA people have the experience to trick/get you get to start the clock..even chase has smooth talkers trying to entrap persons ..to restart the clock 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.