cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

settling old cc debt

tag
sierra1013

settling old cc debt

I recently settled a credit card account, which happened to be my oldest account. Instead of raising my credit score, it actually lowered stating I have a short credit history now.... thought settling outstanding debts was supposed to help? How do I raise my score???  Very frustrating!!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: settling old cc debt

Where did you get the score information ?

Paying debt generally won't help your FICO® score unless your revolving utilization decreases.

Also any notion of settling for less will hurt your score.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

To add, if the account has not been updated in a while, when you settled it used a current date making it look newer than it is.  That is the only disadvantage to paying older debt.

Message 3 of 5
sierra1013

That's exactly what it did.  It put activity of 8/23/13 on an accout that had been inactive for a long time.  I thought I was doing a good thing by paying out old debts since I would like to apply for a home mortgage in the near future, but this settlement lowered my score.  Would it have been better to not settle the debt? 

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

It is never a good idea not to pay debt but there are other ways to go about it.  One would be to see if the LO even requires it to be paid.  Some will, some won't.

Another is the PFD route,  But now that it is paid send a GW letter and see if they will delete the TL.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.