Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tax lien question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

tax lien question

I know paid tax liens stay on your report for 10 years.  Is that from the date filed (in my case 9/97) or from date satisfied (3/04)?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: tax lien question

tax liens generaly stay on 7 years from date PAID-

peeler1967 wrote:
I know paid tax liens stay on your report for 10 years.  Is that from the date filed (in my case 9/97) or from date satisfied (3/04)?

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

according to my tax lawyer  liens stay on file the earlier of 7 years from release date or 10 years from the file date.  So this should be coming off sometime this month.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

From Experian-
unpaid tax liens which may remain up to 15 years. A paid tax lien may remain for up to seven years.

From FCRA-

§ 605. Requirements relating to information contained in consumer reports

[15 U.S.C. §1681c]

(3) Paid tax liens which, from date of payment, antedate the report by more than seven years.

kkeary1972 wrote:
according to my tax lawyer  liens stay on file the earlier of 7 years from release date or 10 years from the file date.  So this should be coming off sometime this month.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

what report is this on?  According to TU it remains on 10 years from payment date
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The blurb from Experian is on the "full printed report"

FCRA- is federal law.

kkeary1972 wrote:
what report is this on?  According to TU it remains on 10 years from payment date

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

In accordance with Title 26 IRS Code, Section 6502(a)(1), IRS’ ability to collect any federal tax expires 10 years after it assesses the tax, unless it commences a lawsuit to collect the tax, obtains a favorable court judgment and periodically renews the judgment. The 10 year time period begins to run on the date IRS assesses the tax, not on the date it files a tax lien.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

this is on my EQ report and according to www.investigate.equifax.com kkeary1972's tax lawyer was right it states the earlier of 7 years from the release date or 10 years from the file date.  Maybe each CRB is different?
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes- it varies by CRA because their is no limitation set in FCRA for max time an unpaid tax lien can be reported- the CRA's could report this forever.

FCRA says "UP TO 7 Years" on a paid tax lein- they can choose how long to report it.

You can have a Tax lien withdrawn-

IF EQ only reported 10 years from file date- it should already be gone?
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

according to my new report the date it comes off is 10/07 so i guess on the 1st or so?????
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.