Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to close or not to close

tag
jwright343
New Contributor

to close or not to close

i have a secured PNC card with a CL of 250$.  i don't use it and it charges me 3$ a month as some sort of fee.  so I AM paying them 36$/yr for a card with a worthless CL.  I'm wanting to open a NEW card obiviously with a much larger CL.  my score is around 685 so I'm guessing this won't be a problem.  So.... do i close this card and stop giving away money to PNC also i lose the 7 years history with it as well.  obviously a new card will probably be bigger than a 250$ CL so that will offset losing the old PNC card but losing a card w/ 7 years history might be a bigger hit scorewise.   any advice??? PNC said they would have to do a HP even if I provide them w/ current fico scores. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
titanofold
Established Contributor

Re: to close or not to close

That card will stay on your reports for 10 years from last activity. (So, if you close it this month, it will remain on your report through January 2024.)

Keep it open until after you have a replacement card. (Replacement  as in a new TL, as in something that's worth the AF or no AF.)

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 2 of 5
p-
Valued Contributor

@jwright343 wrote:

i have a secured PNC card with a CL of 250$.  i don't use it and it charges me 3$ a month as some sort of fee.  so I AM paying them 36$/yr for a card with a worthless CL.  I'm wanting to open a NEW card obiviously with a much larger CL.  my score is around 685 so I'm guessing this won't be a problem.  So.... do i close this card and stop giving away money to PNC also i lose the 7 years history with it as well.  obviously a new card will probably be bigger than a 250$ CL so that will offset losing the old PNC card but losing a card w/ 7 years history might be a bigger hit scorewise.   any advice??? PNC said they would have to do a HP even if I provide them w/ current fico scores. 

How long have you had the secured card?  If it's over 6 months or a year, you are likely ready for an unsecured card.  Definitely don't close this one until you have a new one, and look at other options besides PNC.  If you are getting offers in the mail, look at them and see what is best for you.  Make sure your utilization is optimized before you app.

Once you have a new card, find out if PNC will graduate the secured card to a regular card.  Search for "PNC Graduated" on this forum to see if they do that.

If they won't, once you have unsecured credit the card is useless and should be closed.  Remember, a closed account will stay on your report for up to 10 years.  So the hit to your score won't be as bad as you think.

Good luck.

Message 3 of 5
jwright343
New Contributor

they will graduate it to an unsecured card but only with a HP.  don't know if a hard pull is worth it.  especially if i want to get another card i have no history with.  i'm hesitant though because, PNC denied me for an auto loan last year even after the fact i had 36 on time, auto-deduct payments to capital one.

Message 4 of 5
p-
Valued Contributor

@jwright343 wrote:

they will graduate it to an unsecured card but only with a HP.  don't know if a hard pull is worth it.  especially if i want to get another card i have no history with.  i'm hesitant though because, PNC denied me for an auto loan last year even after the fact i had 36 on time, auto-deduct payments to capital one.

Make sure it's an actual Graduation, and not an app for a new card.  You might consider Capital One.  They gave me a decent limit when I was at the same score level.  Their subprime cards aren't always teh best, but they are easier to get.

You might check out whogavemecredit.com too.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.