Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two collection agencies reporting same debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

two collection agencies reporting same debt

I finally decided today to pull my credit reports.  I was somewhat pleasantly surprised by the first, but when the second was almost 100 points lower I was shocked.

The second is so messed up I am not sure where to begin, but i figure the easiest might be to address the same debt to sprint pcs that is being reported by two different collection agencies.  One was reported in 2004, and then a separate agency reported april of this year.  The amounts are the exact same $113.  It is possible that I owed sprint $113 sometime in 2003, but it certainly shouldn't be reported twice. 

Where to begin fixing this?  Dispute with Equifax online? Request validation from the CA's? Both?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: two collection agencies reporting same debt

rpr wrote:
I finally decided today to pull my credit reports.  I was somewhat pleasantly surprised by the first, but when the second was almost 100 points lower I was shocked.

The second is so messed up I am not sure where to begin, but i figure the easiest might be to address the same debt to sprint pcs that is being reported by two different collection agencies.  One was reported in 2004, and then a separate agency reported april of this year.  The amounts are the exact same $113.  It is possible that I owed sprint $113 sometime in 2003, but it certainly shouldn't be reported twice. 

Where to begin fixing this?  Dispute with Equifax online? Request validation from the CA's? Both?

Thanks in advance.

Only one CA is allowed to report. I would DV them both to find out who you actually owe. I would not dispute with EQ yet. Wait for the results (or lack of) from the DV's
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.