Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

up 24 points in a week!!

tag
ptilda
Established Contributor

up 24 points in a week!!

I'm estatic! Started this serious repair just about two weeks ago. Put in a bunch of apps & ended up with a bunch of new CCs, two CUs (local + PenFed), and a $2k personal loan. Knew my score would drop, but it went from 651-ish to 618. Granted, these are different reports, so it's not a science.

Just got a notification today that I'm back up at 142! Gained almost everything back in a week! And not everything is reporting yet as far as util and payments, because I just started on that. This is excellent news! Let's do the happy dance!

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
alvon123
Super Contributor

Re: up 24 points in a week!!

GREAT WORK!!!! Congrats

Message 2 of 7
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Very nice!!! Same thing will happen to me. Opened 4 new store cards in the last 2 days. I'm doneSmiley Happy ill see a drop I'm sure, but hopefully going to be gaining it back by AprilSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 7
ptilda
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Very nice!!! Same thing will happen to me. Opened 4 new store cards in the last 2 days. I'm doneSmiley Happy ill see a drop I'm sure, but hopefully going to be gaining it back by AprilSmiley Happy

I opened 11 in a week. You have nothing to fear! Smiley Happy

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 4 of 7
CreditHealthy
Established Contributor

Congrats! and good luck to all!

What's in my sock drawer? NFCU LOC 15,000] NFCU Cash Rewards 20,000][ Golden 1Platinum Rewards Card 6,600 Discover It 5,000,] {NFCU goRewards 17,500} Barclaycard 1250.00,]Cap one 750.00 ], Watering my garden for the next five years:-)
EQUIFAX 727 EXPERIAN 732 TRANSUNION 743 FICO} STARTING SCORE....554 July 2013
Message 5 of 7
mf91745
Established Member

Sorry for being dense but ... is it a common strategy to apply for a bunch of new credit cards to improve your score? The score drops initially due to the hard pulls but then jumps back up? Should pretty much everyone do this? Thanks for filling me in....!!!

Message 6 of 7
ptilda
Established Contributor

@mf91745 wrote:

Sorry for being dense but ... is it a common strategy to apply for a bunch of new credit cards to improve your score? The score drops initially due to the hard pulls but then jumps back up? Should pretty much everyone do this? Thanks for filling me in....!!!

It's not because of adding nw cards. That can actually backfire on you, but in my case, I had no credit cards before my "spree," so it was helpful for my "credit mix." Also, it raises the overall util to have extra available credit.

The negative side is that it brings down the AAoA, and of course, retail cards are a temptation that some should not subject themselves to.

Hope that helps.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.