Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what hurts the scores the most....

tag
jmco
Contributor

what hurts the scores the most....

the comments in the payment status and comments field or the actual 24month payment history?

the reason I ask is that I have several paid collections showing "bad debt, placed for collections then settled in full - paid" and I am not sure if I should even bother GW them if they aren't hurting me now that the 24month payment history has been updated to OK or ND.  The comments show "settled as agreed".  Then the OC on these all updated their reporting as purchased by another lendor and again the 24month history shows OK since Feb 11.....now that I disputed alot of them the KD are starting to fall off because they happened at the end of 2010 and as each month now passes the 24 month history is replaced by OK....  :-)  Does that help?

Starting Score: 720
Current Score: 626
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: what hurts the scores the most....

The overall status of the account is still a negative.  It was a CO and is still marked as such.  The 24 month reporting is I assume from your credit monitoring?  But it actually goes way back from that.  Have you checed your reports from www.annualcreditreport.com ?  This will list your entire history.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 9
jmco
Contributor

you are sooo smart!!

yes I am going by the myfico reports not the ones pulled down from annualcredit....i also got new ones mailed to me after disputing several items..

I guess I need to work off those reports and not these...lol... i was thinking I was half way done with the clean up process!!  LOL!

Thanks for the info!

Message 3 of 9
jmco
Contributor

i meant the creditchecktotal.com reports not myfico...been a long week!

Message 4 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Time to get the GW letters going out.  See if you can get some of those baddies off of your CR.

July 2013 score:

Message 5 of 9
madmann26
Valued Contributor

CO's with a balance hurt your score more because the balance affects your utilization. 

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 6 of 9
jandj80
Regular Contributor

Have you pulled your EQ fico? If you pull it so you can see it, and then dispute it, it will take them out of scoring and score watch will update you to the new score. My collections (all paid 2+ years ago) only made a 15 point difference with them out of scoring. Of course they were verified, but the interesting thing is that my score ended up improving by 10 points once they came back into effect. Weird, but its stayed that way over a month now. 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Message 7 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't go directly to disputing, and you would only dispute if you had a proper reason to do so.  

July 2013 score:

Message 8 of 9
jandj80
Regular Contributor

Just to clarify for Shogun- I redispute those same medical collections several times a year. They are all paid, and I dispute them because they are -in my eyes- double reported. We had one bill for about $600 to a medical clinic, and the collection agency itemized each line of the bill as if each line were a whole seperate account. I have yet to find a way to get them off of there or consolidated. The original creditor says they have no control over how the CA reports. My hands are tied, but I keep thinking they might get tired of the relentless disputes someday. Once we close on the house, I might pursue other options. 

Starting Score: EQ 416 TU 498 EX 468 Lender Fico's July 2012
Current Score: EQ 674 TU 679 Ex 686 EX
Goal Score: For now: 640s

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.