Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the next step

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

what is the next step

I recently pulled my credit report and had one collection I have no idea what its from and one credit card I never owned. I only had two credit cards, one from capital one and a PayPal card. My report shows capital one, capital one USA and the PayPal. Capital one USA is a collection/charge off. Called capital one and they only show me having one account with them. Sent a validation letter certified to fidelity and capital one USA, both was returned to me. Fidelity is reporting different balances to each of the CRA. Sent a copy of the certified mail, copy of the envelope that was returned to sender and haven't heard anything from any of the CPA's which I sent certified. What is my next step? I'm new to this so if you need any more information, please let me know.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bestchoiceglobal
Contributor

Re: what is the next step

Have you tried disputing with the credit reporting agencies?
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

First step: called and they told me I only had one account with them
Second step: certified DV letter, which was returned to me(to the address on the credit report)
Third step: certified mail to the CRA with copies of everything and explaining the situation
Fourth step: resent everything again to the CRA
Fifth step: called capital one to make sure they only had one account and again was told I only had one.

I'm trying to type this from my phone 😕
Message 3 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Wait 30 days after they received the certified mail for a response. If you get no satisfaction then dispute the one that is not yours as such. If they come back verified then you can either file a complaint with the CFPB or use the ID Theft provisions of the FCRA to get it deleted.

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect...

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever have an account with ING Direct?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had one capital one credit card. It shows 2 on my credit report. Also, Fidelity (Midwest center) I have no clue what this is. Capital one can only find the one I have.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

No
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest using the ID Theft provision of FCRA 605B to get those accounts removed if you're certain they are not yours.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 😊
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.