Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to start?

tag
trc1962
Regular Contributor

where to start?

I am new here and have had a very bumpy credit history lately. Husband passed away suddenly 8 years ago and things havent been real easy since. I haven't gone out and spent extravagantly, most of my debt is survival and medical debt. However, I did the oesteriech thing and often put my head in the sand because it all seemed like so much to handle, which wasn't very responsible and got me where I am now. I did not want to declare bankruptcy, so bit the bullet and sold the home my husband and I built together. It was too big for just me (boys just started college) and the equity I earned would help me pay off debt. I have paid off quite a bit of medical debt, but there is still more to go, I want to buy another small home in the near future so I am not paying rent (very expensive) and so I need to try to clean up my credit score while paying off accounts. Where do I start once I have my 3 credit reports in hand? Where can I read about a step by step help in cleaning up and then reuilding credit? I appreciate any help anyone can give!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: where to start?

Sorry for your loss and its understandable when a devastating event occurs -doing the simple things may seem unimaginable.

Once you get your credit reports, post back here. We can walk you through and offer you support.
Message 2 of 6
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Sorry for your loss. Sharing your story here takes a lot of courage so thank you for sharing. We are here for you.

I will share this thought with you in the spirit of caring more for you than your creditors.

When faced with such huge life events like losing a loved one and ending up wth large medical and other bills, my opinion is that you need to take care of yourself, and your daily needs, before you spend your money paying creditors. The bankruptcy laws are there to help folks get a fresh start in circumstances where the challenge of doing it by yourself means living with difficulties for a long time. Please do not let your heartfelt desire and pride prevent you from availing yourself of an opportunity to get that fresh start that the laws clearly makes available to you.

Stay strong and all the best to you.

Message 3 of 6
trc1962
Regular Contributor

Thank you for youe comments, yes, it has been a tough time. However, now it is time to start the clean up on my reports so that I am eligible to buy a small home. I am thankful for this forum. After spending a couple of evenings reading here, I have learned a lot. I will be posting more questions for help.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
Startome
Regular Contributor

Lexie who posted above is wonderfully helpful, many of us can vouch for that. My parents got divorced a few years back. My mother didn't work except the odd jobs she could pick up. Everything had been in both their names, but my dad took on all the debt. This left my mom with no job, a car borrowed from my dad till she could get a start, no home. Nothing of her own (minus the nick knacks and decorations here and there she collected over the years). It was very hard on her and me to see her go through it. She grew so much as a person and I am so proud of her, and I want to encourage you to keep pushing ahead. You seem to have a good outlook on it and are challenging life everywhere you need to in order to make it work. I know she started a relationship with a local credit union, and local credit unions are pretty good about seeing a situation and lending smaller credit cards to people in your situation, it may be a start towards building up your credit if you don't already have some credit cards doing so =)

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 5 of 6
trc1962
Regular Contributor

Thank you for reply. I have gotten energy since our loss by looking at my 2 sons and knowing they needed me. I do bank at a credit union and I do like that they are small and personal. I have all 3 credit reports and am going to review them in detail tonite and will report tomorrow for advice. Thank you all for good advice-I'm going to need it to clean up my scores!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.