cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which NFCU product should I apply for?

tag
Glen_M
Frequent Contributor

Re: which NFCU product should I apply for?

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores are:

Experian: 575

Transunion: 591

Equifax: 618

What NFCU products should I apply for to help with my rebuild?

I've been asking myself a similar question, which NFCU card do I want?  I came at it from the perspective of what can they offer me that other institutions won't or can't (ie, I can get better rewards % elsewhere, and I can get Visa Signature benefits lots of other places, etc).  I don't need 20 cards that all do the same thing -- a small number of tools that each offer something unique or complementary suits me better.

What I came up with is that they offer the best interst rates if you're going to carry a balance, and frequently offer extremely good balance transfer terms, so their basic Platinum card was the one thing they could offer that other institutions were unlikely to beat.  It should be especially true because they often offer higher CL that can absorb other balances and help keep util% low too.

Watch the offers, and you can make purchases on another card that offers rewards, then transfer the balance over to the platinum to minimize long term expense.

Message 11 of 13
itspnutbutterkellytime
Regular Contributor

My scores aren't that great (EX: 629 TU:620 EQ: 589) and I have a few baddies on all of my reports. 

All baddies are about 2+ years old and paid though. My utilization is at 7% so I think that really helped me. I was approved for the Go Rewards card with a SL of $2100!!

I would try for the unsecured first and see if they'll approve you. The secured card would be my last option.Good luck!! Smiley Happy

FICO8 Scores as of 2022 MAY 18:

FICO Auto 2/4/5 Scores as of 2021 JULY 21:

FICO Bankcard 2/4/5 Scores as of 2021 JULY 21:

FICO Mortgage 2/4/5 Scores as of 2021 JULY 21:
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would try if I was you. I got approved for a $35k auto loan, $24K CC, and a $15K CLOC with scores similiar to yours with 1 chargeoff and 1 collection reporting.

Wow. You must have good income?

Yes, income is into the 6 figure range also DTI and UTIL is very low.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.