Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

who do i pay...............

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

who do i pay...............

hey all,  new to th forum

not a major question however i wan to delete an item form the credit report and assist my credit score go higher,

whom do i pay???

the car - 20,000.00 or the student loan - 6.676.00?

mother says car, boyfriend says loan as it would help my credit score?

friends and family say the car,>then lower the insurance to collision and liability ( save money both ways)

what sayu?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: who do i pay...............

What is your DTI (Debt to Income) overall ratio?

Also ...

1)  What did the car loan start at?

2)  What did the studient loan start at?

Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Are any of the two reporting negatively (e.g. lates, charged-off, etc.)?

If not, pay as scheduled or pay off to save money. But paying them off won't likely help your FICO score.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi cash,

car is 1 year old 09.

debt is 27 rounded off. current and never late.

student loan was in 1996. deferred for 5 years paid some then deferred again,....

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

cute photo and hi,

none are negative, no payments mised and never charged any late fees, the two are keeping me from being out of total debt and that is th3 goal bu June 2010!!!!  someone has to go. i thing its the car has to go as far as getting out of 20k. I heard that the  credit reporters only value the pay off of a car at 4 points, that hurts, i do nto wnat a book of credit cards, did that when i was in college and just got some air from that hole i was in, 

Message 5 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

nookie41 wrote:

cute photo and hi,

none are negative, no payments mised and never charged any late fees, the two are keeping me from being out of total debt and that is th3 goal bu June 2010!!!!  someone has to go. i thing its the car has to go as far as getting out of 20k. I heard that the  credit reporters only value the pay off of a car at 4 points, that hurts, i do nto wnat a book of credit cards, did that when i was in college and just got some air from that hole i was in, 

So, if I read right, your goal is to be debt free? PIF both. If you can't PIF both right away, then focus on the small debt first and apply what you were applying to the SL and throw that at the car to PIF sooner. Paying them off could help or hurt your score buy by only a few points. It may not be 4 points; it could be more or less, but installment utilization is such a tiny part of FICO scoring. And it really won't impact you until your last installment account is PIF. I paid off my last loan last year and my EQ FICO increased by 7 and my TU FICO dropped by 5. In other words, my loan was hurting EQ but helped TU. IMO, it is always better to be out of debt and not pay interest than it is to have your loans help or hurt your score by a few measley points.

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Simple answer is that it does not matter, as it relates to FICO scorng.

More practical answer is to pay first the one who is accriing the most monthly interest.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

simple is where i want to be!!!!!!!!!!! smileywink: I decided to get out of total debt and let the FICO grow on its own.

so i am  on my way to be burdened free.

this is a game i don't care to play anymore.  

thanks Robert EG.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.