Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why didnt my credit go up...removed collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

why didnt my credit go up...removed collections

so i had three hospital bills on each of my credit reports.  well two of them each for 423$ got removed from transunion and my score rose about 30 points each time.  then my credit consulting agency sent out the equifax disputes and they removed one hospital bill for 423 and my score went up 66 points.  the rest of the bills on each of the accounts were not removed due to them meeting fair credit reporting act.   Well fast foward 2-3 weeks and they removed all the hospital bills from collections off each of the reports....one for 987 on transunion and one for 423$ on equifax as well as one for 987 on equifax.  however when these got removed from both the reports the scores didn't go up at all not one point.  i was expecting to have a score around 730 vantage score at least.   is it still possible they will go up.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: why didnt my credit go up...removed collections

Which credit monitoring service are you using?

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

i used lexington law.  its one of the services recommended by credit karma.  great service.  i only paid for one month at 99 dollars and they got all of my hospital bills removed.   one was a duplicate and thats why i used the service.  i never expected them to have all three removed. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lexington Law has AWFUL reviews on the BBB and several other sites.  I almost fell for their pitch.  And when I balked at them and decided to wait and try myself, the rep got hostile and yelled at me.  Then called me back twice in anger.  They are notorious for continuing to charge you after you cancel, so keep tabs on their auto pay.  Make sure you get progress every month.  The month that it stops, and nothing gets done, CANCEL.  This is their scam.  They rope you in by getting stuff removed that you could have done for free, then spend the next 11 months charging you telling you that they are still working on your CRs.  

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well if you're using credit karma to see your scores when was your last update? I don't think removing a collection is a trigger for them to update outside of the weekly update. I just had a collection removed from TU on Friday but didn't see an update until yesterday for my weekly update, then I saw an increase of a couple of points. But it also matters how old the collection is too and what else is going on with your credit profile at the time. If it's really old you may not see an increase.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Volcano, heres a quote directly from the BBB website regarding Lexington Law.  Sound fimilar?  This will be you in 10 months...  Be careful.

"I held Lexington Law services for 9 months and only had one item removed from two credit bureaus. The first one was removed within a week of obtaining service so naturally I was excited. I thought Lexington Law really meant business. Thinking back, I don't even think they sent anything out on my behalf for at least a week so it was likely just a coincidence that it had been taken off at the same time that I had acquired the service since I had already made calls to the company that held that account to dispute it. I called a couple months in, after the initial setup of course, because nothing else had happened and the woman I spoke with said something like "wow, I'm surprised we haven't taken more aggressive action". That frustrated me since I was still paying the monthly fee. New paperwork was sent out to the account holders and still nothing. Another time I called I was told to print off, sign and mail out letters that were generated by their website to dispute inquiries (when someone runs you credit). I had 6-8 of them on each credit bureau. I did it and got the same exact generic response from every company. Something about how it being posted on my credit report only shows the fact that it was checked. And that they essentially couldn't do anything about it because it was indeed checked. No one even called me to check on anything since nothing had been getting done. The most I got was that every Monday I would get a automated text saying that no changes had been made to my credit report. If you ask me, this is a waste of time and money. I paid $100 per month for 9 months. $900 for very little work and very little results."

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

well it updated on the 29th at 6 in the morning and it showed that the collections were removed on the 29th.  so i was expecting the score to have gone up then since it showed on my report as having been removed.  they were just a few months older then my other bill that got removed.  one was newer by about 5 months.  so it wasn't age.   and lexington law hasn't charged me since i withdrew.   they sent me an email showing i was removed.  the lady threw a fit after i cancelled after a month though lol.  i have no complaints though.  they really tried to rope me in when i was kinda undecided and they do have vigourous salespeople but they did their job.  thats the whole reason i cancelled after a month after i saw the letters were sent out cause i knew there was nothing else they could do.  

Message 7 of 12
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

To sum up the thread...  Lexington Law doesn't do anything you can't do for yourself.  Your $100 per month is better spent on something else.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

To sum up the thread...  Lexington Law doesn't do anything you can't do for yourself.  Your $100 per month is better spent on something else.

They raised my Fico score by 102 points and made 8 removals in 2 Months. I am happy and will continue to use them.

As for OP, you should try myFico or better yet, CCT. for 1 dollar for 7day trial and if you call in to cancel, they give you half off the normal price for a year. This comes with Free reports on all three Bureaus for the first seven days and Unlimited reports/ Fico 8 score for Experian. EQ, and TU for each alert you receive (when your card/loan reports to the Bureau monthly) within the trial period. Thereafter (the trial,) only experian will be generated, based on your alerts. The other 2 Bureaus will be given monthly for free. The other Bureaus' will still update you on alerts, but not give you a score / report until each Month arrives. Or myFico is good for the different score models and comes with score updates on each alert for fico 8; however, updates lag.

Message 9 of 12
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

They raised my Fico score by 102 points and made 8 removals in 2 Months. I am happy and will continue to use them.

I'm sure they did... and considering all they do is dispute items on your report I'll say again... They don't do anything you can't do for yourself.

By all means though.. continue to pay them.  You're happy... and we know they're happy.   Come back in 9 months and let us know if you still feel the same way or if you feel like that guy in the BBB post upthread.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.