cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will disputing a collection renew the 7 year clock?

tag
babypanda
Established Member

will disputing a collection renew the 7 year clock?

after reading here, i found out a lot of people are having succes with ERC removing collections. my hubby's tmobile collection should fall of by the end of next year, should we just wait it out? or we dispute and they don't remove it, can they actually restart the 7 year clock? thanks a lot guys.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: will disputing a collection renew the 7 year clock?

No it won't renew the 7 year cycle. The only thing that can renewed is SOL and only if you agree to a payment and don't make the payments. Anything else like 7 year re-aging is illegal.

If it is going to drop off the reports by the end of this year, I would wait it out till July and call TU for EE, call EX by the end of Sept and EQ by Nov.
Message 2 of 7
babypanda
Established Member

thanks a lot. so us disputing it will not hurt us right? i mean the best case scenario - they remove it and the worst case - everything stays thet same?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@babypanda wrote:

thanks a lot. so us disputing it will not hurt us right? i mean the best case scenario - they remove it and the worst case - everything stays thet same?

Yes, correct, disputing it will not reset the clock.

Message 4 of 7
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Worst case they will update the date and that may cause a drop in score.
Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The post infers that there is some basis for a dispute of the accuracy of the reporting of the collection.

What is the asserted inaccuracy?

Resolution of a dispute does not per se result in the deletion of anything.

The furnisher or CRA always has the ability to verify the accuracy as reported or correct the reportng so as to overcome an inaccuracy.

A dispute only relates to the specific information that is idenfieid as inaccurate, and usually in identifying the inaccuracy, the consumer must show how it should accurately be reported.  Correction to what is asserted in the dispute is sufficient if the furnisher does not verify.

Deletion as a mandated outcome is only required if the information cannot either be verified as reported or corrected to overcome the asserted inaccuracy, and delteion does not extend ot information not under dispute, such as the entire collection.

Message 6 of 7
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

My assumption here is that OP wants EE and wants to do it through dispute. That's why I said in my post to wait it out at least till July to get CRAs to do EE
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.